JetDirect EX/PaintJet XL300 dropping connections

JetDirect EX/PaintJet XL300 dropping connections

Post by Mark Land » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I have attached a JetDirect EX (J2591A) to my PaintJet XL300. When printing
from my UNIX systems, the first document sent to the printer prints correctly.
However, second and subsequent documents will NOT print until power is cycled
on the EX box. Also, the EX box disappears from my printer list in JetAdmin
(Win95 version) after printing the first document.

From my log on my HP-UX system:

status: Job: eng_pj-12; User: mcl ]%%
status: making connection to eng_pj; source: unknown link type ]%%
status: connected to eng_pj; source: unknown link type ]%%
status: transmitting data ]%%
printer: connection reset by printer ]%%

These messages continue until I cycle power on the EX box.

The EX box is revision E.04.20. We just bought it.

Any clues?
--
Mark Landin
T. D. Williamson, Inc.

Post by Larry Byl » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I have attached a JetDirect EX (J2591A) to my PaintJet XL300. When printing
: from my UNIX systems, the first document sent to the printer prints correctly.
: However, second and subsequent documents will NOT print until power is cycled
: on the EX box. Also, the EX box disappears from my printer list in JetAdmin
: (Win95 version) after printing the first document.

: From my log on my HP-UX system:

: status: Job: eng_pj-12; User: mcl ]%%
: status: making connection to eng_pj; source: unknown link type ]%%
: status: connected to eng_pj; source: unknown link type ]%%
: status: transmitting data ]%%
: printer: connection reset by printer ]%%

: These messages continue until I cycle power on the EX box.

This is my first posting to comp.sys.hp.hpux after many years on the MPE
side of things, where I supported printers and printing.  Be gentle with
me :-).

A question and an observation:
o   Have you configured an appropriate model file for your XL300?  Much of
    the communication that passes between the host and the printer (via
    the JetDirect EX) depends on the contents of the model file.
o   Since the *printer* reset the connection, it sounds as if the host
    and the JetDirect EX box did not gracefully close the connection.  You
    might look into how that came about.

Hope that helps (and is not merely restating the obvious).

-Larry "NKOT HP-UX B" Byler-

1. Help ! Paintjet XL300

Q: HPUX Postscript Driver for PaintJet XL300

I would like to be able to print postscript documents in A3 format from my
HP735 running HPUX 9.01 to a XL300 HP PaintJet witch as 32Mbytes of RAM.
My problem is the lack of an apropriate device driver for the operating
system.
If I send a postscript A3 document to my PJ XL300 it only prints the bounding
box for a A4 format.

Thank's

Best regards, yours truly,

Fernando

2. user accounts

3. Problems with Lexmark printer and JetDirect EX printer server

4. Internet Conncetion Sharing Question

5. JetDirect EX Plus3 on hp-ux 9.04

6. IDE & ESDI in SAME system!?

7. Connections being dropped

8. Hit Counter

9. Dropping Connections across WAN

10. A3 on HP XL300

11. xpr source with Paintjet/Deskjet color support

12. Print GIF on PaintJet