New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Stanley Reynold » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:13:36

Just got it off ebay and it has hp-ux B.10.20 looking at the signon screen
it is from AT&T customer care.

I need the root password but none of my guess were right. Is their a way to
crack the password ? If not I'll have to load PAlinux. Thanks in advance.

Stanley

Post by Larry M Headlu » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:41:19

>Just got it off ebay and it has hp-ux B.10.20 looking at the signon screen
>it is from AT&T customer care.

>I need the root password but none of my guess were right. Is their a way to
>crack the password ? If not I'll have to load PAlinux. Thanks in advance.

It is in the FAQ.  Basically, you boot into single user mode and then edit
/etc/passwd to remove the root password and Bob's your uncle.

Subject: 7.11  How do I boot into single user mode?

Press ESC to stop the auto-boot.
When the list of boot devices is presented:

b PX ISL        (where X is your root disc)

And at the ISL> prompt:

HP-UX9.x:     ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/hp-ux
HPUX-10.x:    ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/stand/vmunix

The '-iS' are the flags to init which says come up single user.  The rest of
the command is what the bootprocess does automatically.

                                        (617) 242 7741
Unix, X and Motif Consulting            Speaking for myself at most.

New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Stanley Reynold » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:19:12

Quote:> It is in the FAQ.  Basically, you boot into single user mode and then edit
> /etc/passwd to remove the root password and Bob's your uncle.

> Subject: 7.11  How do I boot into single user mode?

> Press ESC to stop the auto-boot.
> When the list of boot devices is presented:

> b PX ISL        (where X is your root disc)

> And at the ISL> prompt:

It doesn't stop at the ISL prompt it just continues !!!! Whats the trick and
who is bob ?

Quote:

> HP-UX9.x:     ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/hp-ux
> HPUX-10.x:    ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/stand/vmunix

> The '-iS' are the flags to init which says come up single user.  The rest
of
> the command is what the bootprocess does automatically.

New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Mani Vasaga » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:03:31

To make even simple for newbies:

Recycle power (Workstation, switch off will do internal shutdown)

Wait for the work "Press any key to stop" within 10 seconds

Then type "bo" and enter "Y" to interact with ISL.
Then type "hpux -is"                            (-i init level, s for single
user mode)

Now you should able to boot as single user mode. Better edit passwd file and
create another user with uid 0 and not to forget, set a password to that
user, apart from root user reset.

Ciao,
Mani

> >Just got it off ebay and it has hp-ux B.10.20 looking at the signon
screen
> >it is from AT&T customer care.

> >I need the root password but none of my guess were right. Is their a way
> >crack the password ? If not I'll have to load PAlinux. Thanks in advance.

> It is in the FAQ.  Basically, you boot into single user mode and then edit
> /etc/passwd to remove the root password and Bob's your uncle.

> Subject: 7.11  How do I boot into single user mode?

> Press ESC to stop the auto-boot.
> When the list of boot devices is presented:

> b PX ISL        (where X is your root disc)

> And at the ISL> prompt:

> HP-UX9.x:     ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/hp-ux
> HPUX-10.x:    ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/stand/vmunix

> The '-iS' are the flags to init which says come up single user.  The rest
of
> the command is what the bootprocess does automatically.

> --
> --

> (617) 242 7741
> Unix, X and Motif Consulting         Speaking for myself at most.

New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Jan Gerrit Kootstr » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:06:18

Stanley,

IPL into single user mode and run passwd on the command line. This will
let you set your own root password with asking for on old one.

I do not know how get into single user mode on a 712/60, this is HP9000
model dependend. Somewhere in the boot sequence you will be asked to get
into ISL mode. That is what you will have to do.

On the ISL prompt you must give the command:

hpux single

I am not sure of the parameter 'single'.

--
Vriendelijk groeten, / Kind regrads, / Freundliche gruesse, / Salute,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Stanley Reynold » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:20:01

Thanks all I got it , not sure why but  "b scsi.6.0 ipx" worked and "b P
scsi.6.0 ipx" would not.
vi needed ":wq!" to write the read only passwd file

New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Stanley Reynold » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:23:49

Quote:> Thanks all I got it , not sure why but  "b scsi.6.0 ipx" worked and "b P
> scsi.6.0 ipx" would not.

ipx == isl
 sorry i'am going to bed now

Post by mnahk.. » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:14:18

>> It is in the FAQ.  Basically, you boot into single user mode and then edit
>> /etc/passwd to remove the root password and Bob's your uncle.
>> Subject: 7.11  How do I boot into single user mode?
>> Press ESC to stop the auto-boot.
>> When the list of boot devices is presented:
>> b PX ISL        (where X is your root disc)
>> And at the ISL> prompt:
> It doesn't stop at the ISL prompt it just continues !!!! Whats the trick and
> who is bob ?

Oh. You are probably in "secure mode". Pull all the disks off, and the
box should let you turn off the secure boot sequence in the boot menus,
then reconnect the disks and try again. (do remember to pull the power
plug when fiddling with the disk cables...)

Quote:>> HPUX-10.x:    ISL>  hpux -iS disc(;0)/stand/vmunix
>> The '-iS' are the flags to init which says come up single user.  The rest

--

My ideas, not my employer's. No warranty. YMMV.
#include <disclaimer.h>

Post by Larry M Headlu » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 22:51:12

>> It is in the FAQ.  Basically, you boot into single user mode and then edit
>> /etc/passwd to remove the root password and Bob's your uncle.

>It doesn't stop at the ISL prompt it just continues !!!! Whats the trick and
>who is bob ?

Others answered the technical questions so I will answer the important one:
Who is Bob?

"Bob's your uncle" was a British catch phrase from the 19th century with
a meaning of Now your all set,  your troubles are over, etc.

The origin is supposedly traced to politician Robert Peel.  Peel supposedly
came from a large family with many nephews.  A large number of
these nephews found their way into comfortable goverment jobs.  So if
Bob was your uncle,  you were without problems.

Post by Dan Merc » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:41:18

>>> It is in the FAQ.  Basically, you boot into single user mode and then edit
>>> /etc/passwd to remove the root password and Bob's your uncle.

>>It doesn't stop at the ISL prompt it just continues !!!! Whats the trick and
>>who is bob ?

> Others answered the technical questions so I will answer the important one:
> Who is Bob?

> "Bob's your uncle" was a British catch phrase from the 19th century with
> a meaning of Now your all set,  your troubles are over, etc.

> The origin is supposedly traced to politician Robert Peel.  Peel supposedly
> came from a large family with many nephews.

Peel founded both the London Police force and the Dublin Police force.
London policeman are known as Bobbies and Dubliners are called Peelers,
all in his honor (or perhaps that should be honour).  More than you
wanted to know.

--
Dan Mercer

If responding by email, include the phrase 'from usenet'
in the subject line to avoid spam filtering.

  A large number of

> these nephews found their way into comfortable goverment jobs.  So if
> Bob was your uncle,  you were without problems.
> --
> --

>                                    (617) 242 7741
> Unix, X and Motif Consulting               Speaking for myself at most.

New to me a workstation 712/60

Post by Ian Sargen » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:56:32

Larry,

Quote:> Others answered the technical questions so I will answer the important
one:
> Who is Bob?

> "Bob's your uncle" was a British catch phrase from the 19th century with
> a meaning of Now your all set,  your troubles are over, etc.

> The origin is supposedly traced to politician Robert Peel.  Peel
supposedly
> came from a large family with many nephews.  A large number of
> these nephews found their way into comfortable goverment jobs.  So if
> Bob was your uncle,  you were without problems.

Thanks for that! As a 'Brit' I have often wondered where
that expresion came from. It's amasing what you can learn
in this group........

TTFN
Ian
_____________________________________
Ian Sargent
Education & Training Consulting Services Ltd
Tel/Fax: 01344 644579
Mobile:   07970 847197

www:      http://www.etcs.co.uk
_____________________________________

1. Workstation 712/60 - need key strokes to change startup video mode

On powering up the box, hit TAB instead...  I generally just hold it
down, or tap it frequently, until I see some screen activity.
(Because I can't remember exactly WHEN to hit TAB, mainly)

This places the box in a mode which cycles the video choices, and you
simply press ENTER when you (hopefully) see one that works for you.
You might let it cycle through a couple times, instead of settling for
the first one that works... to make sure you use the best one you can.

--
Chris

2. Better mouse driver for O

3. Workstation 712/60 HD info needed

4. Infineon C16x Port3.15 CLKOUT/FOUT

5. Cannot Start X Server on 712/60 Workstation under HP-UX 10.20

6. Search for Touch Tablet / Koala Pad

7. FS: HP 712/60 WORKSTATION

8. BEST PRICE FOR NEWEST I-DEAS!

9. FS:HP 9000 712/60 Workstations $200