Reports 2.0.13 & ASCII Files

Post by Paul Berg » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 00:07:42

Hi I need help with a problem I am having in Reports 2.0.13.

I would like to be able to dump a mailing list from Oracle7 to an ASCII
(system) file using Reports.  This ASCII file would then be imported into
a word processor for further manipulation.  O.K...great....sort of.  I
use the WIN/OS2 Generic/Text Print Driver in an attempt to create this
ASCII file.  However I only get one line of text truncated at column 80
in my ASCII file...not quite what I want.

If I dump the same report to the (destype) screen I get exactly what I
anticipate.  It looks like the Generic/Text printer driver is somewhat
limited in scope in this regard.  Oracle Reports for Windows no longer
support the concept of a printdef printer file so I think I am toast.

I suppose I could use Forms and DDE to accomplish my task but I would
prefer not to.

All suggestions and observations are welcome....thanks in advance!
PB

Reports 2.0.13 & ASCII Files

Post by Glenn Nichol » Wed, 15 Jun 1994 02:13:35

Paul,

Have you investigated the use of Oracle Glue?

You can read from the database directly into your wp document.  There
are examples with the Glue software that show how this is done with
MS Word and Ami Pro, but other Windows wp systems can also support the
DDE link.  You mentioned you wanted to avoid Forms and DDE - well, this
way you could avoid Forms, but not DDE.  1 out of 2.

Regards,

Glenn Nicholas.

:Hi I need help with a problem I am having in Reports 2.0.13.
:

--

Ph:  +44 908 221313                   | Compuserve: 100070,3562
Oracle Human Resources and Payroll

1. REPORTS 2.0 on MS Windows - need ASCII file output

Any information on how to get REPORTS to write an ASCII file (vs a
postscript
file) when I direct output to a file.  Oracle support says use the generic
printer option in Windows but this is not satisfactory.  Anyone heard of
the file conversion utility that converts a Postscript file to another
format ?  In another Newsgroup item it was mentioned but I have been
unable to find the utiltity.
Thanks for your response.
Jim

2. Win 2000 always find new hardware after using Linux

3. Problem in converting 1.1 reports to 2.0.13

4. THE BEST SITE OF EMULATION ON THE NET

5. Audit files in 7.0.13 and up

6. BOOPSI document. WHERE?

7. movrep (Reports 2.0.13) from SQL*ReportWriter V1.1

8. SQL Server Acess & C# access to Active Directory

9. Bug/Feature in Oracle Reports 2.0.13 ???

10. HELP on REP-3300 VGS errors with Reports 2.0.13 (repost)

11. Oracle Reports 2.0.13

12. date problem in migrating Oracle Forms&Reports 4 to Oracle Forms&Reports 6

13. A flat ASCII file. That's all I want. Just a flat ASCII file..