Random Selection

Post by Daniel Hughe » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

How do I select a random set of records in Oracle?

I MS SQL6 I just set the ROWCOUNT to the number of
records I want and do a select with ORDER BY
RAND().  Is there any Oracle equivilent.

Dan Hughes

1. Random selection of database record

Does anyone know the best way to select a record from oracle randomly.
The reason I ask, is that I am developing a dictionary of terms related
to GIS that can be accessed via the WWW. What I would like to do, is have
some method for the user to press, say a button labelled 'random' on the
form, and a random term and its related definition to be returned. The
dictionary will have approximately 1500 terms, and ideally, only one of
these would be returned by this function. Not knowing a great deal about
PL/SQL, is there a way to do this using SQL, or will I have to get my
hands dirty?

Regards

Brian

2. Back up of Money Data to online location

3. Random selection of records

4. Downloaded program Files folder

5. Oracle7 "fieldtypes", "random selection" and more

6. WTB: new Netra/Ultra 20% off list or better?

7. Server Selection Compaq, Netframe, Pyrimid, 486/50, Netware...

8. Blocking Netcaster

9. DBMS Selection for 500+GB data and 500+ Users

10. Pro*c - changing selection criteria

11. Selection between ORACLE & PROGRESS

12. Need help with SQL selection statement.