Y2K Testing

Post by Allan Kell » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What happens if I reset my shutdown my database, set the system date to the
year 2000, run my tests, shutdown the database, reset the date to the
current date, and re-start the database? Do bad things happen?

Y2K Testing

Post by Ron Leed » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

That depends on:

        a) what is in your database?
        b) what are you doing in your testing?
        c) what do you consider bad things?
        d) is this your production database?

The biggest problem would be if you have event driven transactions in
your database or part of your testing.  It could trigger those off or
create unneccessary transactions to kick off later.  It will not effect
any of the system catalogues if that is what is "bad".

> What happens if I reset my shutdown my database, set the system date to the
> year 2000, run my tests, shutdown the database, reset the date to the
> current date, and re-start the database? Do bad things happen?

  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
Live as is if you were to die tomorrow.
Live as if you would live forever.

Y2K Testing

Post by Allan Kell » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ron,
    I'm more concerned in control files and redo log files with date/time
stamps that might not allow the instance to come back up. I have been told
that this may be the case. No event driven transactions to worry about.
Allan

Post by William Boyl » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> What happens if I reset my shutdown my database, set the system date to the
> year 2000, run my tests, shutdown the database, reset the date to the
> current date, and re-start the database? Do bad things happen?

It depends. You may need to restore the database after resetting the
date back to < 2000 and before restarting the database. Go ahead and
make a full, cold backup first, and then try what you suggest. Either it
works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then restore the database from the
backup. Make sure you also backup the control files.

William Boyle
Principal Software Engineer
Brooks Automation, Inc.