Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Vahid Tadjkarim » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

        I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

        Any comments, hints, feedbacks will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Charles Walke » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

When I wanted TCP/IP for Windows, I looked at the prices for all the
various TCP/IP vendors. They were all about $200. I upgraded to Windows
for Workgroups instead for $49 and downloaded Microsofts TCP/IP for free.
It is basically the samt IP stack that NT and 95 use, and it works fine.
Hope this helps.

Post by jke.. » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
> Subject: Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP
> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:13:27 -0600

>    I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
> MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
> Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
> smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

>    Any comments, hints, feedbacks will be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

I bought the NetManage package.  The full package had lots of tools but
was cost prohibitive for the bulk of the users.  I was able to cut a
deal just for the Winsock layer since the bulk of the users only needed
the connection and not the tools.

Novell Windows Workgroup may be the cheapest
route to go.

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Ken Hartma » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

In

comp.databases.oracle,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
Quote:>> Subject: Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for
TCP/IP
>> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:13:27 -0600

Quote:>> NNTP-Posting-Host: dbsun.vitek.com

comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip:22053

>>        I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done
evaluation of
>> MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products)
for
>> Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and
works
>> smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

>>        Any comments, hints, feedbacks will be appreciated.

>> Thanks in advance,

>I bought the NetManage package.  The full package had lots of tools
but
>was cost prohibitive for the bulk of the users.  I was able to cut a
>deal just for the Winsock layer since the bulk of the users only
needed
>the connection and not the tools.

>Novell Windows Workgroup may be the cheapest
>route to go.

If you have a Microsoft LAN Manager LAN, you may get by with
Microsoft's TCP/IP stack for workgroups.  It's DOS based and eats
conventional memory, but is free and works decent.  I currently run NT
with it's TCP stack and find it ok, but a good 3rd party TCP vendor
will deliver a better stack.

I had trouble with NetManage package, but that was with the X Windows
portion although I blew the TCP stack out of the water and was forced
to reboot.  Especially when I would switch to Kea! for simple Telenet
connections.  You may look into Reflections, they have a decent
package.  Be leary of Distinct TCP, I've called Oracle's support line
and found they only support version 3.1 and I've heard they are
shipping 3.4 already.

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Steve Harvill » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

           Steve Harville
           Stemco Inc

Post by Dennis M. Gr » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
>>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
>>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
>>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

>The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
this but would appreciate comments.

Post by David-Michael Linc » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
> >>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
> >>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
> >>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

> >The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

> What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
> Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
> way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
> this but would appreciate comments.

You'll have a very long way to go...unless you are going to try to get
Oracle for SCO to run under the iBCS emulator.

dave
--
David-Michael Lincke    Institute for Information Management at USG

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Thomas Morr » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I See you are trying to get Oracle to run on Linux. Any success?

>>>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
>>>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
>>>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
>>>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

>>The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

>What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
>Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
>way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
>this but would appreciate comments.

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Master » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

To my knowledge, Oracle does not support LINUX for a server platform.
--

Post by ccorone » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
>>>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
>>>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
>>>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

>>The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

>What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
>Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
>way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
>this but would appreciate comments.

We have this setup, win 3.1, trumpet, sql*net V1.x, ORACLE 7 V7. It works ok.
You may need to fine tune each component.

Carlos Coronel
Computer Information Systems
Middle Tennessee State University
1500 Greenland Dr.
Murfreesboro TN 37132

Post by Dennis M. Gr » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>> What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
>> Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
>> way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
>> this but would appreciate comments.

>You'll have a very long way to go...unless you are going to try to get
>Oracle for SCO to run under the iBCS emulator.

Thanks for your comment, Dave, but that is exactly what I am going to
try to do for the moment.

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Dennis M. Gr » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Well, maybe I should simplify my question.

Does anyone have Personal Oracle 7.1 or 7.2 running with the Trumpet
Winsock to access an Oracle database on a server running on any
machine?

I just got the SCO CD-ROM for the 90-day trial today but won't even be
able to think about installing it until I recompile my kernel and
other stuff so I won't worry about using my Linux box as an Oracle
Server for awhile.

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Prentice Kins » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

On 29 Nov 1995 22:08:03 GMT, Steve Harville

>>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
>>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
>>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
>>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

>The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

I've used NEWT (Netmanage) with SQL*Net successfully too.

Post by Martin J?r » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
> >>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
> >>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
> >>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

> >The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

> What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
> Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
> way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
> this but would appreciate comments.

The tcp/ip stack in win95/NT as well on wfw3.11 (same implementation) works also fine for us and
last but not least, dont forget some other benefits:

- Cost: 0$
- very easy to configure
- bether integrated in windows than any other stack i have seen

Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

Post by Martin J?r » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >>I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
> >>MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
> >>Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
> >>smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

> >The tcpip stack in win95 and windows nt works fine for us.

> What about Trumpet Winsock?  My idea is to have Trumpet running under
> Windows 3.11 with an Oracle server on a Linux machine. I have a long
> way to go on getting the server up and running so there is no hurry on
> this but would appreciate comments.

The tcp/ip stack in win95/NT as well on wfw3.11 (same implementation) works also fine for us and
last but not least, dont forget some other benefits:

- Cost: 0$
- very easy to configure
- bether integrated in windows than any other stack i have seen

1. SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows: Which TCP/IP stack would you recommend

Hi!

We are thinking of installing SQL*Net for Windows to allow us to run
client/server stuff against our Oracle7 database running on a SUN
SPARCserver 1000 running Solaris 2.2.  Since our networked PCs are
netware based and are running over ODI drivers, we would obviously
prefer a TCP/IP stack that can run over ODI.  I'm rather partial to
Novell's LAN Workplace/Workgroup, but I'm open to suggestions (However
I would want to avoid anything that runs over NDIS or needs a NDIS
shim). Does Netmanage Chameleon TCP run over ODI?

I have never seen SQL*Net working so I'm very blur about this (except
that we DO need this), so: I hear V2 is out but I also hear it's also
a bit on the buggy side.  Should we go for V2 or stick to V1.1?  What
are the pros and cons?  Sorry about the stupid questions, but I have
to ask.

Philip
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

|Tasek Cement Berhad              |  to persons living or dead is completely  |
|P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA| coincidental. The creator of this article |
|Voice: +605-551-011              |    has asserted its moral right to be     |
|  Fax: +605-566-142              |          identified as the author.        |
+-------------------Eigi-Eru-Enn-Allir-Jomsvikingar-Daudir!-------------------+

2. interface computer and printer

3. SQL*Net TCP/IP for windows and Microsoft TCP/IP

4. Clients IP address

5. SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Net SPX - coexist peacefully?

6. Want cheap buffered com card

7. What TCP/IP stack works with SQL*TCP

8. Left pane in Windows Explorer

9. Oracle 7 - SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Windows ...

10. SQL Link 2.0/SQL*Net TCP/IP/PDOXWIN 5.0

11. Oracle SQL*Net <==> TCP/IP over Novell IPX/SPX !!??

12. Oracle SQL*Net and Public Domain TCP/IP Drivers

13. Oracle SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows and Banyan Vines