Parallel server perfo

Post by Jared P. Heck » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Meanwhile, in a space-time continuum unknown to Earth,

That is interesting, Kevin, since a recent benchmark I did for a
client could not sustain more than 180 tps on an SP-2 tuned to both
Oracle's and IBM's liking at one of their testing centers.  Your
comment suggests the transactions were small and the data sets they
were hitting disjoint, i.e., the test was rigged to avoid pinging.  Was
this the case?

Regards,

jh
--
Jared Hecker                                   |  Oracle Architect,

1. Parallel Query vs. Parallel Server

Hi:

A site with 5 - 30 users runs a ad-hoc query tool against a 1G Oracle
7.2 RDBMS running on an HP server.  Occasionally, the queries take "a
lot" of time to complete.  When this happens, the users notice that
many ( 5+) users are simultaneously running long queries.  I've done
some preliminary research into running the Oracle server using the
Parallel Query and the Parallel Server options.

My questions:
1)  It seems to me, based on the Oracle manuals, that Parallel Query
would work well at this site, but the views for the ad-hoc query tool
would need to be modified.  Would PQ be a viable option?

2)  The Parallel Server option seems attractive, but how does one
distribute the users between the multiple instances?

3)  Are there other ramifications that I am missing?
|  Paul Osborn                  Menlo Software                 |

|  V:  415.324.1286             744 College Avenue             |
|  F:  415.324.1287             Menlo Park, CA 94025  USA      |

2. Displaying Headers

3. People with real world Parallel Server Experience

4. Comeau C++ Problems

5. Parallel Server on AIX ?

6. CDD 2600

7. Parallel Server on AIX ? n

8. CLIPS Expert Systems Training

9. Oracle Parallel Server and Pyramids

10. Parallel Server working w/v7.0.16?

11. Oracle Parallel Server - allocating extents

12. Parallel Server on HP9000/T500?

13. Parallel Server