HyperCard/TCP-IP interface for Oracle ?>

HyperCard/TCP-IP interface for Oracle ?>

Post by Mario Gonzal » Wed, 26 Feb 1992 12:48:12

Hello we have Oracle running under Banner/SIS and I would like
to use a TCP/IP connection to get information directly from the
Database over the Net.  I have no experience with Oracle but
have the expertise at my aide.

I am farmilliar with HyperCard so their is no problem thier.  I heard
someone say that their may be already a interface available.

What I am doing is running a HyperCard Application that will need to Search
the Database on a real time basis for Lab access restricion purposes and
continual Database update ability.

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated

Thanks,

Mario Gonzales

|    Macintosh Network Support        |===========================|  |

|    Oregon State University          |===========================|  |

Post by Spencer Moo » Thu, 27 Feb 1992 01:38:04

> Hello we have Oracle running under Banner/SIS and I would like
> to use a TCP/IP connection to get information directly from the
> Database over the Net.  I have no experience with Oracle but
> have the expertise at my aide.

> I am farmilliar with HyperCard so their is no problem thier.  I heard
> someone say that their may be already a interface available.

> What I am doing is running a HyperCard Application that will need to Search
> the Database on a real time basis for Lab access restricion purposes and
> continual Database update ability.

> Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated

We are also running Banner here at the University of Oregon.  I have experimented with connecting Hypercard to the database over TCP/IP, though we haven't put anything into production using this setup.  What you need is:

- SQL*Net running on both the server and the client (your Macintosh).

- A TCP/IP connection between the two.  Ethernet on the Macintosh is much preferable to Appletalk.

- An XCMD for HyperCard that enables HC to talk to SQL*Net (this is provided with SQL*Net)

- Oracle for Macintosh is optional.

Beware that using HC for anything but queries requires a lot more manual programming than SQL*Forms, for example.  Handling such issues as row locking, updating or inserting in HC is not quite as automatic as it is in forms.

One reason we're not using HC in production is the lack of a compelling reason to use HC over SQL*Forms - since we don't really need a graphical presentation, we've so far stuck to forms.  I imagine that SQL*Forms will be our interface of choice should we choose to move toward a client/server environment.

Contact me directly for further information.

Spencer Moore
Systems Analyst
Computing Center
University of Oregon

1. Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

        I wonder if anybody has experience with or already done evaluation of
MsWindows TCP/IP stacks (e.g. Trumpet, Metmanage, ... .. products) for
Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP.  Which one do you think is better and works
smoothly or at least you are satisfied with?

        Any comments, hints, feedbacks will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2. where is my parameter gone?

3. SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows: Which TCP/IP stack would you recommend

4. Servo control.

5. SQL*Net TCP/IP for windows and Microsoft TCP/IP

6. Unable to start Remote Registry

7. Oracle SQL*Net <==> TCP/IP over Novell IPX/SPX !!??

8. How to call a C api

9. CICS M/F Access From Oracle (digital Unix) <Sqlnet (TCP/IP)>

10. sql*net/tcp-ip adapter?

11. What TCP/IP stack works with SQL*TCP

12. Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel >>>>>> Oracle PRO

13. How to evaluate Oracle<->Perl<->Web Interfaces