Oracle DBA Handbook - latest edition ?

Post by Evan Splet » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to get my hands on the latest edition of the
Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney.  Here in Canada the bookstores
and publisher (Osborne) still only stock the old 1994 edition whose title
ends with: (Covers Versions 6 and 7.x), ISBN 0-070881182-1 .

The Osborne web site  http://www.osborne.com/oracle/ora4.htm  lists a
(Covers Versions 7 and 7.1), but incorrectly gives the old ISBN.

The latest edition is supposed to be ISBN 0-07882289-0 and may cover
version 7.3 . Is it available yet in the USA, or is it some pre-release
copy availabe only through Oracle Corp ?

Post by Bob Breedlov » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have been trying to get my hands on the latest edition of the
> Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney.  Here in Canada the bookstores
> and publisher (Osborne) still only stock the old 1994 edition whose title
> ends with: (Covers Versions 6 and 7.x), ISBN 0-070881182-1 .

Check CBooks (http://www.cbooks.com/) they are one of the largest
sources
of technical books and can probably get it for you.
--
Bob Breedlove, the WebGuy

HomePage: http://www.channel1.com/users/rbreed01/
BBS     : BOBsBBS, 916-929-7511

Post by Dianna Shor » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have been trying to get my hands on the latest edition of the
> Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney.  Here in Canada the bookstores
> and publisher (Osborne) still only stock the old 1994 edition whose title
> ends with: (Covers Versions 6 and 7.x), ISBN 0-070881182-1 .

> The Osborne web site  http://www.osborne.com/oracle/ora4.htm  lists a
> (Covers Versions 7 and 7.1), but incorrectly gives the old ISBN.

> The latest edition is supposed to be ISBN 0-07882289-0 and may cover
> version 7.3 . Is it available yet in the USA, or is it some pre-release
> copy availabe only through Oracle Corp ?

Try Illuminations Inc, web site http://www.illumine.com. They specialize
in Oracle reference books.

Post by Jerry Wol » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> I have been trying to get my hands on the latest edition of the
>> Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney.  Here in Canada the bookstores
>> and publisher (Osborne) still only stock the old 1994 edition whose
title
>> ends with: (Covers Versions 6 and 7.x), ISBN 0-070881182-1 .

>Check CBooks (http://www.cbooks.com/) they are one of the largest
>sources
>of technical books and can probably get it for you.
>--

This may be old news but, while at Oracle Open World, the person from
Osborne Press said they tried to get the new DBA Handbook ready for the
show but weren't able to do it.  She sait it should be ready in the next
2-3 weeks.  So, I would guess your bookstore won't be able to get it much
before the 1st of December.

Post by 75663,32 » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >> I have been trying to get my hands on the latest edition of the
> >> Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney.  Here in Canada the bookstores
> >> and publisher (Osborne) still only stock the old 1994 edition whose
> title
> >> ends with: (Covers Versions 6 and 7.x), ISBN 0-070881182-1 .

> This may be old news but, while at Oracle Open World, the person from
> Osborne Press said they tried to get the new DBA Handbook ready for the
> show but weren't able to do it.  She sait it should be ready in the next
> 2-3 weeks.  So, I would guess your bookstore won't be able to get it much
> before the 1st of December.

Well, I haven't received my copy yet :).  It was supposed to be out in time
for OOW, along with the Complete Reference: Electronic Edition, but both were
delayed during the printing cycle.  The Advanced Oracle Tuning & Admin book is out -
it covers through 7.3.  If you're an IOUG member, use the IOUG bookstore to
get a price break.

When the new book comes out, it'll show up on www.osborne.com.  The code for the
book will be posted there as well (there aren't many code changes necessary
when upgrading to 7.3 from 7.x).

Also, Spanish and Chinese editions of most of the Oracle Press series are
available; contact the publisher for details.

-Kevin Loney.

1. Match of book Oracle Discoverer Handbook w/ latest Oracle Discoverer release (in 9i)?

Hi.

How well the does the book Oracle Discoverer Handbook
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072126353/qid=10422454...)
match up w/ the version that is shipping w/ the latest Oracle 9i?

In other words, is this book still relevant w/ the latest release of
Discoverer from Oracle?

Thanks.

John

2. OSLib's signal generating errors

3. Loney: Oracle DBA Handbook

4. w2ksp2, great update and upgrade

5. Looking for programs from Oracle DBA Handbook

6. Site For Switch Details

7. Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

8. Excel Straight to Microstation

9. K.Loney DBA Handbook

10. Examples from DBA Handbook

11. ORACLE DBA JOBS - BOSTON, NY, NJ, ATL - TRAINING - LATEST SOFTWARE

12. Oracle Hot backup scripts from Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook

13. Oracle Power Objects Handbook