SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows: Which TCP/IP stack would you recommend

SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows: Which TCP/IP stack would you recommend

Post by Philip Ch » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 09:25:02

Hi!

We are thinking of installing SQL*Net for Windows to allow us to run
client/server stuff against our Oracle7 database running on a SUN
SPARCserver 1000 running Solaris 2.2.  Since our networked PCs are
netware based and are running over ODI drivers, we would obviously
prefer a TCP/IP stack that can run over ODI.  I'm rather partial to
Novell's LAN Workplace/Workgroup, but I'm open to suggestions (However
I would want to avoid anything that runs over NDIS or needs a NDIS
shim). Does Netmanage Chameleon TCP run over ODI?

I have never seen SQL*Net working so I'm very blur about this (except
that we DO need this), so: I hear V2 is out but I also hear it's also
a bit on the buggy side.  Should we go for V2 or stick to V1.1?  What
are the pros and cons?  Sorry about the stupid questions, but I have
to ask.

Philip
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

|Tasek Cement Berhad              |  to persons living or dead is completely  |
|P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA| coincidental. The creator of this article |
|Voice: +605-551-011              |    has asserted its m*right to be     |
|  Fax: +605-566-142              |          identified as the author.        |
+-------------------Eigi-Eru-Enn-Allir-Jomsvikingar-Daudir!-------------------+

Post by John Fost » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 19:14:03

>> Hi!

>> We are thinking of installing SQL*Net for Windows to allow us to run
>> client/server stuff against our Oracle7 database running on a SUN
>> SPARCserver 1000 running Solaris 2.2.  Since our networked PCs are
>> netware based and are running over ODI drivers, we would obviously
>> prefer a TCP/IP stack that can run over ODI.  I'm rather partial to
>> Novell's LAN Workplace/Workgroup, but I'm open to suggestions (However
>> I would want to avoid anything that runs over NDIS or needs a NDIS
>> shim). Does Netmanage Chameleon TCP run over ODI?

>We are using Chameleon over ODI. It's a solid product.
>Takes about 6k i dos and has a smooth install.

>Regards,

Hi,

We are currently piloting an oracle 7 application using SQLNet
over TCP/IP and have run into a few problems.  I'm not sure how
relevant to you our problems are but here they are anyway.

Our client application is written in Gupta SQL Windows 4.1 which
talks through an Oracle router V2.21 to SQLNet V1 (we tried V2 and
found it to be 30% slower than V1 !!).

We did some user testing using Lan Workplace (I can't remember which
version) and found it to be very solid.  Unfortunately for roll out
because we have a large no. of home grown DOS applications to run under
windows we didn't have enought base memory in the PC's so we had to use
a protected mode stack.

We tried Frontier Technologies Super TCP for Windows V4.0 (which Oracle
intend to support this month and we use for other apps with no problems)
and found it to be highly unstable.  We then tried Chameleon and found it
to be more stable but not satisfactory.  We then tried Super TCP V3.0
(which Oracle do support but Frontier Technologies Dont!!!) and found this
to be the most stable of the protected mode stacks (incidentally V3.0 Super
TCP is DLL based and doesn't support DOS box printing and the other
two mentioned are VXD's and do support DOS box printing).

My advice is that if you have base memory to play with in your PC's stick
with the LAN Workplace for DOS if you are familiar with it. I have always
found it to be very fast and stable!

Regards

Nik

1. SQL*Net TCP/IP for windows and Microsoft TCP/IP

I am trying to install Oracle SQL*Net TCP/IP 1.1.7.10.4 on a Windows for
Workgroup machine that provides TCP/IP services by the Microsoft
TCP/IP-32 3.11 software.

The connection to an Oracle server with the 'nettest' utility fails with
the error : ORA 6120 : NETTCP : network driver not loaded

I've tried to modify the TCP_VENDOR field in the oracle.ini file,
from the value of WINSOCK to the value of LANMAN2 but the error still
remains.

Any ideas ?

Vincent.

Centre

1 Rond-point du General Eisenhower      Phone : (33) 61.14.30.90
BP 1369                                 Fax   : (33) 61.14.30.34
31106 Toulouse, France                  Recep.: (33) 61.14.31.31
  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/  _/

2. CFP: IPDPS01-PDSECA

3. Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

4. MIB Compiling at the Management Station

5. What TCP/IP stack works with SQL*TCP

6. Floppy drive constantly being accessed

7. Approved" TCP/IP stacks 4 SQL-NET

8. Error while updating online quotes

9. SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows, Windows NT and ODBC

10. Oracle 7 - SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Windows ...

11. TCP/IP Stack for windows -which??

12. TCP/IP Stack for windows -which ?

13. SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Net SPX - coexist peacefully?