sqlplus fails on local connect

Post by Robert Le » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:05:54

I cannot connect to my local database, i.e. on the same machine,
via sqlplus with this command:

        sqlplus scott/tiger

but this will work:

I know that I have connected to oracle databases before (and
continue to do so) with the first command.  Why doesn't it
work?  I have my ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set correctly.
It has nothing to do with the listener.

I am sorry for such a simple, stupid question.  But, after
years of using oracle, I am simply frustrated with this one.

Thanks ahead of time.
Bozzio.

sqlplus fails on local connect

Post by Jeroen van Veldhuize » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:13:35

If you are on Windows, open the registry and set the LOCAL registry key
to your database name:
\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORACLE
LOCAL = test
Under unix, set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to test:
export ORACLE_SID=test (bash)
setenv ORACLE_SID test (csh)

Jeroen van Veldhuizen
Developer

> I cannot connect to my local database, i.e. on the same machine,
> via sqlplus with this command:

>         sqlplus scott/tiger

> but this will work:

> I know that I have connected to oracle databases before (and
> continue to do so) with the first command.  Why doesn't it
> work?  I have my ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set correctly.
> It has nothing to do with the listener.

> I am sorry for such a simple, stupid question.  But, after
> years of using oracle, I am simply frustrated with this one.

> Thanks ahead of time.
> Bozzio.

1. TNSPING works SQLPLUS fails whsn connecting to remote server

why can I TNSPING but I can not connect using SQLPLUS?

Oracle 10g
Slackware 10 install 2.6.6 kernel

exports
ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle
ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/product/10g
ORACLE_SID=ora9i
ORACLE_TERM=xterm

error in sqlplus:

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Wed Aug 18 11:30:06 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

TNSPING:
bash-2.05b$ tnsping test

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on 18-AUG-2004 11:31:28

Copyright (c) 1997, 2003, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
/home/oracle/product/10g/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
 )SERVICE_NAME = test.clt.fisonline.com).5.30)(PORT = 1521))
OK (40 msec)

2. SELECT from multiple tables...

3. sqlplus copy command fails when copying null varchar2 column - any ideas?

4. How To Enable FP2K Rollover Effects Globally?

5. V8.1.7: Connect time on local machine...

6. ICM Colour Matching with Epson Stylus Color II

7. Connecting to local Oracle database On NT3.51 Workstation

8. Microsoft co-founder establishes DEC archive site

9. Slow Connect But Local Only

10. How to connect Forms 4.5 to Local PO7WIN95 DB

11. cannot connect to local ORACLE from PB4

12. CONNECTING TO LOCAL BD FROM DIFFERENT ORACLE_HOME

13. SQL*NET failed to connect