Oracle7 "fieldtypes", "random selection" and more

Oracle7 "fieldtypes", "random selection" and more

Post by Robert Peperka » Tue, 18 Jan 1994 23:30:12

To whoever may know,

I have a couple of questions about Oracle v7 and I hope that some of you will
take the time to answer them. Please do and THANX when you do!

- Does Oracle7 support fieldtypes for "free tekst  of undefined length", like
a (WP-)document?

- Same question for "pictures" (bitmaps, tiffs, gifs or whatever)?

- Is it possible to randomly select a number of records from a sub-set of
records? Suppose I had a DB with 1000 employees (with fields like: gender,
age, name)  and I  wanted to randomly select 10 males older than 25 (and
there were 400 males older than 25).

- Is it possible to change the "structure" of a DB-table containing data,
like inserting new fields or making a field longer?

Thanx!

--------------------
ing. Robert Peperkamp
University of Limburg
Medical Faculty
Department of Educational development & Educational research
The Netherlands
Europe

-------------------

1. : Connect strings - "T:"/"2:"/"X:" ?

despite browsing on-line and hardcopy manuals, I haven't found
an overview of SQL*Net connect strings/protocol specifiers,
like for example

  T: TCP/IP
  2: OS/2, Windows/NT, Windows 3.x
  X: SPX/IPX

can anybody point me to relevant docs (FAQ, Oracle on-line or hardcopy
manuals)?

Thanks,

Malgorzata Roos, University of Zurich

2. How to add Entity??

3. Strange question on error message " PLS-00103 : Encountered the symbol "?" "" ( Urgent)

4. comp.os2.misc

5. "Named Users" vs. "Concurrent Users" Lic.

6. Can anyone walk me through dns setup over icq or some similar software?

7. "Stored Procedures"- versus "SQL*Forms-only"

8. HP Jetsend for Pocket PC

9. Help - "Production" and "Test" databases

10. Stored procedures and "select" requires "into"...why?

11. SQL*Plus not parsing "create trigger" and "create type" commands

12. Q:"invalid ROWID" vs. "no data found"?