Sqlform 3.0 -- inputing new data problem

Sqlform 3.0 -- inputing new data problem

Post by Go Ahead Reverse My da » Wed, 02 Feb 1994 06:40:46

Me and some other people are working on a little project; a database to
hold music info, i.e. group name, label, album title...etc

We created the tables and everything, but now we have a problem.  We made
a table called "groop" (group is sql statement), and have two fields:

groop_nm char(80)
primary key(groop_nm);

When data is entered in the first question is for group (or artist) name.
If a name has already been entered then forms won't let enter new info for
that group.
(1) Should we make it by album first, then artist?
(2) Is there a way that forms won't check for that stuff?
(3) Can I do this:

    groop_id num(8),
    groop_nm char(80),
    primary key(groop_id);

    How do I generate the groop_id?
(4) Any other options?

Thanks.
Yatrik.

Sqlform 3.0 -- inputing new data problem

Post by Diana Tra » Fri, 04 Feb 1994 03:11:07

Quote:>Me and some other people are working on a little project; a database to
>hold music info, i.e. group name, label, album title...etc

>We created the tables and everything, but now we have a problem.  We made
>a table called "groop" (group is sql statement), and have two fields:

>groop_nm char(80)
>primary key(groop_nm);

>When data is entered in the first question is for group (or artist) name.
>If a name has already been entered then forms won't let enter new info for
>that group.
>(1) Should we make it by album first, then artist?
>(2) Is there a way that forms won't check for that stuff?
>(3) Can I do this:

>    groop_id num(8),
>    groop_nm char(80),
>    primary key(groop_id);

>    How do I generate the groop_id?
>(4) Any other options?

>Thanks.
>Yatrik.

First of all, if you want to put in new information for an existing group
in Forms, you need to Enter a Query.  If you want to be able to update the
group name, you probably should have a groop_id that is unique.  To
generate it, use a sequence:

        create sequence groop_id_seq
        increment by 1
        start with 1
        maxvalue 99999999

When you insert into a table, use an insert statement referencing the sequence:

        insert into groop
        values(groop_id_seq.nextval, :new_group_name);

Sorry if you already know this stuff, but you sounded like a beginner.
--
Diana Tracy, System Designer            -- E*ment, Adventure

1. eight bit charaters problems in SQLFORMS 3.0 /AIX 3.2

We recently moved our devlopment from VMS machine to AIX machine, and
are haveing troubles with Sqlforms 3.0.
Sqlforms and related tools (runform, sqlmenu 5.0 for example) do not
accept eight bit characters. Eight bit characters in .inp files are
displayed normally but one can not add new ones. (They are just ignored
and reported as <-2> in the log file if one uses the -e parameter)

Oracle says: "Strange, very strange this works on our machine", and then
they hint at that something must be wrong with this machine. I have been
talking with them about this for more than one week now.

If you are running sqlforms on a an AIX 3.2 machine then could you
_PLEASE_ do the following test for me.
Run sqlforms without username/password on the command line and try to
enter eight bit characters in the username field.
Then send my a note telling me if it was possible for you to enter 8 bit
character, and include the version number of sqlforms and oracle toolkit
(those are displayed on the username screen).
(I don't want JUST to hear from those how can NOT enter eight bit
characters, if any, I want repsonse from as many as possible)

(If you are working on a vt220 or vt320 terminal then you can enter
eight bit characters with the compose character, "compose / o" generates
a special character overstriked o, "compose s s" generates german Szh
character. Eight bit characters need to be enabled in the terminal
setup. I don't know how to enter eight bit characters for other
terminals.)

My version of sqlforms is
sqlforms: 3.0.16.3.2
oracle toolkit: 01.00.19.00.03

2. Need your help..

3. SQLFORMS 3.0 (TRIGGER PROBLEM)

4. Is Canon LBP-8 Mark VI tonercartridge compatible with HP's 92298A ?

5. SQLForms 3.0 ON-CLEAR-BLOCK Problem.

6. System 6 wanted (and Proterm 2.0)

7. Doubt using SQLFORMS 3.0 ......... MAster/Detail Rel.

8. Participate in a research project!

9. RUN SQLFORMS 3.0 ON HP-9000 ?

10. Oracle/SQLForms 3.0 on SunOs 4.1.3

11. HELP NEEDED: SQLFORMS 3.0 under VMS