performance question

Post by Craig Taylo » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:46:41

Hi,

I really appreciate any insight anyone can offer me.

I am about to set up a small search engine for my shopping site. I have just
over 1100 products now, but I am expecting much more (knock on wood).

I want to use indexing to speed things up. The tables for the search will
not be updated (insert deletes etc).

My question has to do with the whether to break the product description
field down into individual words and store them as new fields (and index
them), or to use a "LIKE" query to search the description field for the
word. Also, can I use indexing with a "LIKE".

Thanks again,

Craig

performance question

Post by ha » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:55:03

It sounds like you need a LDAP rather than a database. If you use Oracle,
you can try the intermedia option, or context in the pre-8i versions.

Charles

Quote:> Hi,

> I really appreciate any insight anyone can offer me.

> I am about to set up a small search engine for my shopping site. I have
just
> over 1100 products now, but I am expecting much more (knock on wood).

> I want to use indexing to speed things up. The tables for the search will
> not be updated (insert deletes etc).

> My question has to do with the whether to break the product description
> field down into individual words and store them as new fields (and index
> them), or to use a "LIKE" query to search the description field for the
> word. Also, can I use indexing with a "LIKE".

> Thanks again,

> Craig

performance question

Post by Hans Forbric » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:48:57

If you are using Oracle8i, turn on Intermedia - the Oracle built in text search
engine.  It's fully documented and web compatible.  (Prior to Oracle8i, look for
Context Option)

/Hans

> Hi,

> I really appreciate any insight anyone can offer me.

> I am about to set up a small search engine for my shopping site. I have just
> over 1100 products now, but I am expecting much more (knock on wood).

> I want to use indexing to speed things up. The tables for the search will
> not be updated (insert deletes etc).

> My question has to do with the whether to break the product description
> field down into individual words and store them as new fields (and index
> them), or to use a "LIKE" query to search the description field for the
> word. Also, can I use indexing with a "LIKE".

> Thanks again,

> Craig

1. Wide-Area-Network Performance Questions

If one were to consider replacing a ver 5.1C 386-based standalone
database with a ver 6.0 SparcIPX-based RDBMS and DOS-based clients at
both local Ethernet sites as well as at remote sites (over 14.4kbs
phone lines), could anyone give some hints regarding the following:

1. What sort of performance difference can be expected in running
   a client (i.e., SQL*Forms and SQL*Reportwriter) over local Ethernet
   vs modem?

2. Is client Forms and Reports performance generally acceptable
   over Ethernet?

3. How crucial is the Forms design to performance (i.e., how much
   traffic can be eliminated through correct design? -- this is
   obviously a concern for the remote sites)

4. What about performance of the same Forms and Reports on a
   stand-alone Sun system (i.e., buy client tools for Sparc and use
   telnet sessions from DOS sites) versus the Ethernet-based client/server
   as described above?

4. How painful is the conversion from
   a) Forms 2.3 to 3.0 on DOS?
   b) DOS Forms 2.3 to Sun Forms 2.3 or 3.0?
   c) DOS Reports to Sun Reports?

Dave Caughey                            Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Engineering

                                        University of Victoria
"Ten million lemmings can't be wrong"   Victoria, B.C., CANADA V8W 3P6

2. Brainforest

3. Oracle Performance Questions (Under VMS)

4. OLEDB - Unresolved externals for CLSID_SQLOLEDB

5. database size vs. performance questions

6. New version of WebProxy released...

7. pro*c performance question

8. NEW EMBEDDED ELECTRONICS RESOURCE DIRECTORY ONLINE

9. Oracle/OpenVMS Performance Question

10. SQL Performance Question

11. HELP!! ORACLE performance question ...

12. SPARC20 Performance Question

13. Performance Question on Joins