Tcp/Ip Gost process q

Post by cdouc » Sat, 08 Feb 1992 00:44:06

i am running an Oracle database under sco Unix 3.2.2 and using SQL*NET TCP/IP

   If a user get trown out(PowerFailure,computer crash) the TCP/IP process stays there for ever, i have to go kill it manually..

is there anything that look for those process and kill them when they are idle?

Thanks in advance
Christian Doucet

Tcp/Ip Gost process q

Post by Roderick Manal » Mon, 10 Feb 1992 15:00:52

>i am running an Oracle database under sco Unix 3.2.2 and using SQL*NET TCP/IP

>   If a user get trown out(PowerFailure,computer crash) the TCP/IP process
>   stays there for ever, i have to go kill it manually..

>is there anything that look for those process and kill them when they are idle?

As far as I know, the latest SQL*Net TCP/IP that comes with Oracle V6.0.33
on SCO Unix will enable the KEEPALIVE option on network connections.  The
problem is that SCO and other TCP/IP vendors have set up things in such a
way that it will take TCP/IP about two hours to finally decide that a
connection has been lost (keepalive wars still come up from time to time
under comp.protocols.tcpip -- I hope it doesn't spread here).  As long as
TCP/IP thinks things are well, Oracle will happily wait for the next SQL
statement to come in from the client.  Once TCP/IP closes the connection,
the Oracle shadow process on the SCO side should die and eventually PMON
will go around and clean up any internal Oracle resources held by that
process.

There's nothing that can really be done about this at the Oracle level yet.
However, I do think the V6 tools on the PC side do a better job of giving
the Oracle server better information to show in the SQLDBA MONITOR screen.
Many Unix 'auto-logout' programs that go out and kill idle processes tend
to rely on looking at the tty associated with a process.  Since the Oracle
shadow is a detached process, they are not seen by the program.  Of course,
I haven't read those programs very carefully yet either.

Roderick Manalac

1. SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows: Which TCP/IP stack would you recommend

Hi!

We are thinking of installing SQL*Net for Windows to allow us to run
client/server stuff against our Oracle7 database running on a SUN
SPARCserver 1000 running Solaris 2.2.  Since our networked PCs are
netware based and are running over ODI drivers, we would obviously
prefer a TCP/IP stack that can run over ODI.  I'm rather partial to
Novell's LAN Workplace/Workgroup, but I'm open to suggestions (However
I would want to avoid anything that runs over NDIS or needs a NDIS
shim). Does Netmanage Chameleon TCP run over ODI?

I have never seen SQL*Net working so I'm very blur about this (except
that we DO need this), so: I hear V2 is out but I also hear it's also
a bit on the buggy side.  Should we go for V2 or stick to V1.1?  What
are the pros and cons?  Sorry about the stupid questions, but I have
to ask.

Philip
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

|Tasek Cement Berhad              |  to persons living or dead is completely  |
|P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA| coincidental. The creator of this article |
|Voice: +605-551-011              |    has asserted its moral right to be     |
|  Fax: +605-566-142              |          identified as the author.        |
+-------------------Eigi-Eru-Enn-Allir-Jomsvikingar-Daudir!-------------------+

2. ulimit - recommended setting

3. SQL*Net TCP/IP for windows and Microsoft TCP/IP

4. Announcing Octave - a high-level language for numerical computations

5. Which MsWindows TCP/IP is better for Oracle SQL*NET for TCP/IP

6. stipplefont and postscript

7. Oraserver Sql*NET TCP/IP process hangs in AIX

8. Help: EP source in C ??

9. What TCP/IP stack works with SQL*TCP

10. HyperCard/TCP-IP interface for Oracle ?>

11. SQL*Net performance tuning for TCP/IP...

12. TCP/IP for MSDOS in Oracle 6.0

13. SQL*Net - TCP/IP configs & Windows ?