HELP: MS-ACCESS with ODBC eats up memory

HELP: MS-ACCESS with ODBC eats up memory

Post by Holger Marz » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

We have an ACCESS 2.0 query-only appl. ACCESS talks to oracle v7 via ODBC.
Response times are ok. But after - say - 20 queries ACCESS starts to eat
memory, the system starts swapping until it hangs.

I ran the appl under Windows NT, too, where i could see that memory is
consumed till a system warning msg appears (insufficient virtual storage).

Could it be that ODBC allocates some memory for each query and forgets to
free it up?

Any help very, very welcome.

HELP: MS-ACCESS with ODBC eats up memory

Post by Holger Marz » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

We've experienced the following:

After a sql-query returned 'nothing' (no rows selected), the following
queries started to consume memory without freeing it.

We found some recommendations in the msacc20.hlp:

(sorry, sorry, only in german)
"Optimieren der Leistungsfaehigkeit von Microsoft Access"
[...]
Leistungsfaehigkeit von SQL-Datenbanken
[...]
Verwenden Sie als Quelle der Daten, die in einem Listen- oder
Kombinationsfeld erscheinen sollen, anstelle
einer SQL-Anweisung eine Microsoft Access-Abfrage. Zum Definieren der
Herkunft fuer die Werte stellen Sie
die Eigenschaft "Datensatzherkunft" fuer das des Listen- oder
Kombinationsfeldsteuerelement ein.

It worked! You should always use an access-query in a listbox or in a
combo-box instead of inserting the sql-statement-string there.

Post by John Nav » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> We have an ACCESS 2.0 query-only appl. ACCESS talks to oracle v7 via ODBC.
> Response times are ok. But after - say - 20 queries ACCESS starts to eat
> memory, the system starts swapping until it hangs.
> I ran the appl under Windows NT, too, where i could see that memory is
> consumed till a system warning msg appears (insufficient virtual storage).
> Could it be that ODBC allocates some memory for each query and forgets to
> free it up?
> Any help very, very welcome.

I have found memory leaks in the ODBC Version 2 Desktop Drivers.

--
Best regards,

Post by Victor Ronn » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

: We have an ACCESS 2.0 query-only appl. ACCESS talks to oracle v7 via ODBC.
: Response times are ok. But after - say - 20 queries ACCESS starts to eat
: memory, the system starts swapping until it hangs.

: I ran the appl under Windows NT, too, where i could see that memory is
: consumed till a system warning msg appears (insufficient virtual storage).

: Could it be that ODBC allocates some memory for each query and forgets to
: free it up?

Yes it does. Actually Windows does this too, in the MDI based applications
every time a MDI child is closed, some memory is not freed. So even without
ODBC you will face such a problem with Access as Access is a MDI.

Recently I ran in to some files on CompuServe with the name memfix.* or
something like that, that should replace some of the memory management
done by windows. Didn't try it yet.

For ODBC, my company has reported this problem to MacroSof, but no action
has been taken on that by MacroSof. So when you are not planning to support
several server platforms in the near future (couple of year), I would
recommend switching from ODBC to a database vendor supplied dblib like thing
to replace ODBC with native support of transfering the SQL and results
between the server and the Acces client.

Victor

1. Looking for consultant, Oracle 7.x / ODBC / MS-Access 2.0

I am looking for an experienced consultant to help me setup and test an
Oracle 7.x database (server:  HP-UX 9.04) with several clients using
MS-Access 2.0 as the user front end.  Some of the PCs will be running
MicroSoft Windows 3.1, others Windows/NT 3.1.  I want the ODBC layer used
for future portability reasons.

I have read in other posts that Oracle / ODBC / MS-Access is difficult to
configure to work properly hence my desire for an experienced consultant.

If you know of such a person I'd appreciate a name / company / phone
number.  If there is sufficient interest I will post a summary.

Thank you in advance.
   Michael J. Dyer                      Telephone:   AT&T 414.647.4044
   General Electric Medical Systems           GE DialComm  8 *767.4044
   4855 West Electric Avenue
   P.O. Box 414  Mail Stop EA-28            Sect'y   AT&T 414.647.4295
   Milwaukee, Wisconsin  USA 53201                         8 *767.4295

2. Quotes for patent office RFC (Part 2 of 2)

3. MS-Access via ODBC to Oracle:How hard?

4. UnixWare Frequently Asked Questions (Developer)

5. Stored Procedures from MS-Access (ODBC error!)

6. click me

7. MS-Access ODBC Oracle7.1

8. Is anyone using Nyditot's Virtual Display with Terminal Services??

9. MS-Access+ODBC+SQL*Net+Oracel : performances ?

10. MS-Access /Oracle ODBC problem

11. ODBC/MS-ACCESS interference with instance

12. MS-Access 95 ODBC

13. ODBC- Oracle with MS-Access