CREATE INDEX PARALLEL clause => bad datatypes?

CREATE INDEX PARALLEL clause => bad datatypes?

Post by Mark W Modra » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi...

        i've got a table where i'm trying to
CREATE INDEX pk_id on content(id DESC) PARALLEL (DEGREE DEFAULT);

but i get an error for Oracle (932) saying something about
inconsistent data types, and the explanation of the error doesn't
match any of the criteria i have in my table. id is declared as a
NUMBER (30) but it's in my table, which created successfully.

        The error message said it was either a bad DML statement
(mixing numbers with text) or an attempt to modify a system table
but neither are true.

        If i remove the PARALLEL clause, the create succeeds.  I
have another table with an index created similarly on a text column
and it worked fine with the parallel clause...

        can someone shed some light on this?

thanks
-mark