A New Query Optimization Strategy

Post by liang h » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 04:18:34

A new query processing strategy for relational database systems
is proposed which combines the System R strategy and the Wong-
Youssefi algorithm.  It improves efficiency of query evaluation,
in particular for nested queries and complex queries (possibly
by orders of magnitude).  Furthermore, it is possible (in the
future) to generalize this method to deductive database systems,
active database systems, object oriented database systems and other
extensible database systems.

This paper is to appear in Proc. of 5th Australasian Database
Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, Jan. 94.  It is available
though anonymous ftp:
        ftp.usq.edu.au
under directory pub/cs/papers.  The file is a postscript file named
        small1st.ps
(some figures are missing; but they can be easily constructed).

This paper may intrest implementors of relational database systems.
I very much would like to see this method implemented, tested, and
compared with traditional query evaluation strategies.  Because
of resource limit, in particular, lack of funding, it is not
possible to implement this method here.  Comments or collaborations
are wellcome.

J L Han
Dept. of Math and Computing
University of Southern Queensland, Australia

Post by liang h » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 08:50:46

[...]

Post by jgayta » Sat, 18 Dec 1993 03:00:46

Quote:

> A new query processing strategy for relational database systems
> is proposed which combines the System R strategy and the Wong-
> Youssefi algorithm.

what was that!!!
I would like to know how does the Wong-Youssefi algorithm works...
and what is System R strategy...

thanx!

1. Query optimization question

I have a question as to ordering table references in an Insert statement.

First, info:
I have two tables--1) WELL_HDR, containing 1,500,000 rows.

2) LD_WELL_HDR containing about 50,000 rows.
Both tables have the same structure. The Primary Key is a column named UWI.
Both tables have a unique index on UWI.
I want to insert into WELL_HDR from LD_WELL_HDR all the unique rows.

My question is about the order of table names in my Insert sql.

INSERT INTO WELL_HDR
SELECT * FROM LD_WELL_HDR
WHERE NOT EXISTS
(SELECT UWI FROM WELL_HDR WHERE LD_WELL_HDR.UWI= WELL_HDR.UWI)
/

Does the smaller table (LD_WELL_HDR) or the larger table (WELL_HDR) come
first in the subquery? (Driver table?)

Any other suggestions for making this faster??

Also, I will be wanting to update the WELL_HDR table using some (but not all)
columns from the LD_WELL_HDR table. Hints on constructing the updates are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
--

2. Lexmark Optra T: Which RAM

3. Query Optimization with Oracle

4. Switching off typematic autorepeat

5. Query optimization puzzle.

6. alpha and desktop, was re:alpha 21164

7. Query Optimization

8. DataBind

9. Query optimization?

10. Query Optimization Tips