Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by Florin Laza » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4 on a
Windows NT Workstation.
Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my operating
system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole system
blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the machine.

I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I did
something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else - but I
don't know where to find it.

Thanks for any help!

Post by Frank van Borte » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4 on a
> Windows NT Workstation.
> Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my operating
> system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole system
> blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the machine.

> I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I did
> something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else - but I
> don't know where to find it.

> Thanks for any help!

unless you have plenty memory, it's slooooow! don't even think
about it when using 48M or less

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
----------------------------------   ----------------------------
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by Florin Laza » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have 192 MB RAM on the server. And as I already told you, the machine is
not slow, it just crushes - blocking the entire operation system.

Quote:

> unless you have plenty memory, it's slooooow! don't even think
> about it when using 48M or less

> --
> Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

> Frank van Bortel
> Technical consultant Oracle

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by Marty Grinstea » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

You mentioned the server...

Here are the MINIMUM requirements for OEM 204:
Console 64 meg
OMS another 64 meg
database too  another 64 meg

You should check to make sure you have the correct version of jre
(jre -version  1.1.7?)

Marty

>Hi,

>I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4 on a
>Windows NT Workstation.
>Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my
operating
>system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole system
>blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the machine.

>I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I did
>something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else - but I
>don't know where to find it.

>Thanks for any help!

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by gra.. » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Best results for running oem 2.0.4:
install the software on a new (new installed) Windows-NT without other
ORACLE software (Database, Developer, Designer).
A lot of problems will be automaticly solved (environment ,
ORACLE_HOME !!).

Toni

Quote:> >I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4
on a
> >Windows NT Workstation.
> >Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my
> operating
> >system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole
system
> >blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the
machine.

> >I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I
did
> >something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else -
but I
> >don't know where to find it.

> >Thanks for any help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by sbeni.. » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The problems I have been having are dealing with too many versions of
Oracle tools on my desktop.  Because of our environment, I have had
problems of everything crashing at some point in time.  I literally had
to unistall everything, physically remove the files, including the
\program files\oracle\jre... stuff along with the oracle homes, and
then search my registry for anything dealing with Oracle and remove
it.  I then had to reinstall everything from oldest to newest (I also
maintain a 7.3 environment along with 8i).  Also, I create an Oracle
directory under c:\.  When trying to put it under \program
files\Oracle, the OEM tools had a difficult time reading the blank
space.  If you want to use it, you need to use the progra~1.

Also, from a speed aspect, OEM 2.0.4 uses the 1.1.7 Java.  I was able
to take the Java 1.1.8 with the just-in-time compiler and install it.
It created a c:\program files\javasoft\jre directory.  Under that it
created a 1.1 directory.  I renamed my c:\program
files\oracle\jre\1.1.7 directory and then copied the 1.1 from under the
javasoft into there, renaming it to match the 1.1.7 that previously
existed.  I've been running this for about 2 months now on a daily
basis on both NT 4.0 and win98 with no problems, and let me tell you,
it screams.  I would have to say it is 50%-75% faster, tricking it into
using the 1.1.8.

Scott

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4
on a
> Windows NT Workstation.
> Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my
operating
> system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole
system
> blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the
machine.

> I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I
did
> something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else -
but I
> don't know where to find it.

> Thanks for any help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by d.bijlhou » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

you are

> Hi,

> I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4 on a
> Windows NT Workstation.
> Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my operating
> system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole system
> blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the machine.

> I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I did
> something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else - but I
> don't know where to find it.

> Thanks for any help!

Big Problems Running Oracle Enterprise Manager Tools Ver. 2.0.4.0.0 - Java UI related

Post by Jerry Won » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have a better luck with OEM 2.0.4 even with wierd setup. I have to
monitor an IBM/AIX running O7.3.4, two Sun running O8i, and one NT with
O8.0.4. The management repository has to be loaded to the NT box since my
IBM is only running O7.3.4. My laptop has had O8 and O8i installed and
removed. Also, MSSQL7 was also a resident before. So, it is a messed up
system. However, I have 196MB RAM and lots of disk space on this 233MHz
Compaq laptop running NT 4.0. Maybe the housepower made a difference. But
my overall impression with OEM2.0.4 is not favorable since the GUI is badly
designed and it also crashes my computer once in a blue moon.

Jerry
HP/Agilent Technologies
Technical Consultant

> The problems I have been having are dealing with too many versions of
> Oracle tools on my desktop.  Because of our environment, I have had
> problems of everything crashing at some point in time.  I literally had
> to unistall everything, physically remove the files, including the
> \program files\oracle\jre... stuff along with the oracle homes, and
> then search my registry for anything dealing with Oracle and remove
> it.  I then had to reinstall everything from oldest to newest (I also
> maintain a 7.3 environment along with 8i).  Also, I create an Oracle
> directory under c:\.  When trying to put it under \program
> files\Oracle, the OEM tools had a difficult time reading the blank
> space.  If you want to use it, you need to use the progra~1.

> Also, from a speed aspect, OEM 2.0.4 uses the 1.1.7 Java.  I was able
> to take the Java 1.1.8 with the just-in-time compiler and install it.
> It created a c:\program files\javasoft\jre directory.  Under that it
> created a 1.1 directory.  I renamed my c:\program
> files\oracle\jre\1.1.7 directory and then copied the 1.1 from under the
> javasoft into there, renaming it to match the 1.1.7 that previously
> existed.  I've been running this for about 2 months now on a daily
> basis on both NT 4.0 and win98 with no problems, and let me tell you,
> it screams.  I would have to say it is 50%-75% faster, tricking it into
> using the 1.1.8.

> Scott

> > Hi,

> > I have a lot of problems using Oracle Entreprise Manager ver. 2.0.4
> on a
> > Windows NT Workstation.
> > Using tools like Schema Manager, the Java GUI interface crashes my
> operating
> > system. Just making a scroll or just clicking on a menu - the whole
> system
> > blocks and I have to reset (reboot by pressing Reset button!) the
> machine.

> > I wonder if I am the only one having this kind of problems. Maybe I
> did
> > something wrong. Or maybe I have to install a patch or smthg. else -
> but I
> > don't know where to find it.

> > Thanks for any help!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Running Enterprise Manager thru a firewall

Is it possible to remotely connect to an 8i database thru a firewall?

I use DialUpNetworking on a Win98 PC with Oracle 8.1.5, to connect to
our local intranet via a dial-up connection.

 We have several 8i DB's, some on Novell and some on Unix.  I can
connect fine to the Novell DB's that aren't behind the firewall.
Can't connect to the Unix boxes though.

Once past the firewall and into the Unix box, I CAN start an SQLPLUS
session from the Unix command line, but that's real ugly.

Enterprise manager is so much easier.

Has anyone conquered this one yet?

2. Help porting TCL pascal to PPC CW

3. Server Manager Motif-related problem

4. Why Can't you IDDD from Alaska to the Netherlands?

5. Installation problem about oracle enterprise manager

6. Does my VPN solution work?

7. problems viewing all databases using oracle enterprise manager 9i

8. Do you have this RIS problem?

9. 2 problems: Report formatting; and Enterprise Manager on Windows 2000

10. Sybase UI development tools

11. Problem running Server Manager (Motif)

12. 9i oracle oracle enterprise manager

13. Enterprise OpenSource Project using Java Stored Procedures of Oracle