Will Oracle support file compression under NT3.51?

Will Oracle support file compression under NT3.51?

Post by Randy Fough » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

   The new release of the Windows NT3.51 OS has added file compression
as an optional feature. Will Oracle operate correctly using a disk or
disks that use an operating system level file compression?

   Does Oracle support file compression on any other platforms?

Thanks Randy

Will Oracle support file compression under NT3.51?

Post by Keith Majk » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>   The new release of the Windows NT3.51 OS has added file compression
>as an optional feature. Will Oracle operate correctly using a disk or
>disks that use an operating system level file compression?

>   Does Oracle support file compression on any other platforms?

I don't know about NT, but on Win3.1 disk compression is not supported.
Quote:

Post by Thomas B. C » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>   The new release of the Windows NT3.51 OS has added file compression
>as an optional feature. Will Oracle operate correctly using a disk or
>disks that use an operating system level file compression?

Yes, it does.

Quote:>   Does Oracle support file compression on any other platforms?

Yes, provided that support is in the OS or is otherwise transparent to
Oracle.

I use Oracle7 today on a system at home with OS-compressed disks, and
Oracle has no idea.

WARNING:  empty tablespaces compress very nicely, but full ones much
less so -- i.e. while Oracle thinks the space is preallocated, in fact
the OS may show the data file "growing" as the contents become less
compressible.  You could even run out of space and/or get weird OS
errors.

Cheers.

 -Tom
--

Author of _Oracle Workgroup Server Handbook_, ISBN 0-07-881186-4

...be seeing you at IOUW '95!

Post by Shiraz Kan » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>   The new release of the Windows NT3.51 OS has added file compression
>as an optional feature. Will Oracle operate correctly using a disk or
>disks that use an operating system level file compression?

>   Does Oracle support file compression on any other platforms?

>Thanks Randy

All current implementations of Oracle will NOT support compressed file systems
on ANY operating system (but support is rumored to be coming). The reason for
not supporting compression is because Oracle pre-creates data files when you
create tablespaces and NOT dynamically as data is inserted.

Assume the following scenario:

I have a 1 gig disk and I create a 500 M tablespace in a datafile on this disk.
Initially this file is almost empty and therefore highly compressable.
Lets say it compresses to 10 megs. Now I happily keep adding other files onto
this disk until it's almost full. Assume only 1 meg of free space is now left.

Now I go ahead and insert 450 megs into my Oracle table on that disk. Oracle
thinks that's okay since it "knows" it has a 500 meg tablespace. The OS gave
it to Oracle. But the disk has no room to expand and accomodate the growing
compressed file. So BOOM it just blows up in your face. The results are
obviously going to be unpredictable but really bad.

Hence Oracle cant support compressed filesystems.

Could someone please add this to the FAQ (which never seems to get posted)

shiraz

Will Oracle support file compression under NT3.51?

Post by InterScience Nordi » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00

But if you are aware of this side effect, and refrain from adding all
those "extra" files to the disk where the table space was allocated, then
it should work. I'm personally e*d by this possibility; we have a
large database (currently around 50 Gig) that grows by 5 to 10 Gig per
year. This is sales data that is very static in nature, and is only used
to run queries against. If it can be stored on compressed disks, then
that would save us a bit in hardware costs. We are currently looking at
gradualy moving over to an NT platform from Unix, and compressed disks
would be a nice bonus.

/Anders

:>>   The new release of the Windows NT3.51 OS has added file compression
:>>as an optional feature. Will Oracle operate correctly using a disk or
:>>disks that use an operating system level file compression?
:>>
:>>   Does Oracle support file compression on any other platforms?
:>>
:>>Thanks Randy
:>

Post by Glenn Conl » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>   The new release of the Windows NT3.51 OS has added file compression
>>as an optional feature. Will Oracle operate correctly using a disk or
>>disks that use an operating system level file compression?

I have used Oracle version 6 on a compressed MSDOS disk ever since DOS6
came out with no problems whatsoever.  I have since purchased a larger disk
and am running uncompressed.  There seems to be little or no performance
difference between compressed or uncompressed.

By the way, I did have to move one hidden file from the Oracle6 directory
on the compressed disk to an Oracle6 directory on the host drive.  Without
moving this file, it wouldn't run.

Having said this, I have no idea if it will work for you in your
configuration or with O7.

1. Oracle 7.1/7.2+NT3.51+Cheyenne DBagent for Oracle Server ????????????

Im planning to take into use Cheyennes DBAgent for Oracle7 on Windows NT 3.51.

Is there anyone who is using this combination? What are the experiences?

Of cause, the biggest question is, IS IT RELIABLE ENOUGH??
Any comments???

 _____________________________________
| Seppo Liedes                        |
| Nokia Telecommunications            |
| Box 33                              |
| FIN-02601 Espoo                     |
| FINLAND                             |
|                                     |
| Tel.    +358-0-51122719             |
| Fax     +358-0-51122227             |

|_____________________________________|

2. virtual inheritance and operator=

3. Connecting to local Oracle database On NT3.51 Workstation

4. O.T. slow performance on a NT4 WS dual processor

5. Access 95 ODBC link to Oracle on NT3.51

6. Toshiba XM-5402B: Is this normal?

7. Help:Visigenic 32bit ODBC, Win32, NT3.51, Visual C 4.0, Oracle 7.1, SQLExecDirect

8. Where to find FAQ

9. CGI under Oracle 7.2 under NT3.51

10. Oracle connection from Win95 to NT3.51 - What's the trick?

11. NT3.51 client with Sql*netV2.2 SPX

12. Does Oracle JDBC driver support data compression

13. 51 Oracle Job Openings