Alter tablespace problems

Post by David E. Zuz » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 08:47:55

I am having a problem with sizing database files.  Here's the story:

1.  I did an
      ALTER TABLESPACE T1 ADD DATAFILE '/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' size 984M;

2.  Unfortunately, this was the wrong size, it should be 1735M.

How can I change this?  Can I drop these files from the tablespace
without dropping the tablespace itself?  I've tried taking the datafiles
offline and recreating them with the ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE
'/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' as '/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' size 1735M, but that didn't
increase the size (it stayed at 984M).

HELP!

Alter tablespace problems

Post by michel.lalo.. » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 08:46:17

>Subject: Alter tablespace problems
>Date: 3 Mar 1995 23:47:55 GMT
>I am having a problem with sizing database files.  Here's the story:
>1.  I did an
>      ALTER TABLESPACE T1 ADD DATAFILE '/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' size 984M;
>2.  Unfortunately, this was the wrong size, it should be 1735M.
>How can I change this?  Can I drop these files from the tablespace
>without dropping the tablespace itself?  I've tried taking the datafiles
>offline and recreating them with the ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE
>'/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' as '/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' size 1735M, but that didn't
>increase the size (it stayed at 984M).
>HELP!

Wy not just create an other datafile '/dev..../c2t2d0s4' on the same
tablespace with the difference in space.

Michel Lalonde :-)

Alter tablespace problems

Post by Alvin L » Fri, 10 Mar 1995 08:18:01

> >I am having a problem with sizing database files.  Here's the story:

> >1.  I did an
> >      ALTER TABLESPACE T1 ADD DATAFILE '/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' size 984M;

> >2.  Unfortunately, this was the wrong size, it should be 1735M.

> >How can I change this?  Can I drop these files from the tablespace
> >without dropping the tablespace itself?  I've tried taking the datafiles
> >offline and recreating them with the ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE
> >'/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' as '/dev/rdsk/c2t2d0s3' size 1735M, but that didn't
> >increase the size (it stayed at 984M).

> Wy not just create an other datafile '/dev..../c2t2d0s4' on the same
> tablespace with the difference in space.

It sounds like the original poster is using raw partitions, and I
don't know (think) you can have multiple datafiles per raw partition.

Back to the original question, you need to take the datafiles offline,
drop the tablespace, and then recreate the tablespace with the right
size.  You didn't mention whether you've dropped the tablespace, so I
can't tell if it's a case of lazy typing or an actual missing step.

--
"And this is all I have to say about that..."   - F. Gump
      ___

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

1. Undo ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE

On Oracle7 on a Sun, we've just added a datafile to a tablespace with the
ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE command.  We discovered that we put the file
on the wrong file system and want to move it.  But it doesn't appear to
be that easy.  I assume that I could detach that tablespace, move the
datafile to where it belongs, and then define a symbolic link, but that's
a little cumbersome.

Clearly, we could also EXPort the data, drop the tablespace, recreate
it as we wanted it to be, and then IMPort the data back in, but again,
that's cumbersome.

So, are we overlooking some obvious alternative?  I could see that a ALTER
TABLESPACE DELETE DATAFILE command might be difficult for Oracle to
implement if there's data on it already, but this is a case where we are
practically guaranteed that the datafile hasn't yet been used.  So *surely*
there's some easy way to undo a mistyped ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE
command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Rob

2. Font mapping problem

3. Need help on "alter tablespace" command.

4. 8x CD-ROM PLEASE, Help me!

5. Problem with ALTER TABLE

6. AS400 Partner Needed

7. Help: Problems with ALTER TABLE

8. Database Capacities

9. 8i Tablespace removal if someone has deleted the .dbf instead of dropping the tablespace

10. moving from tablespace a to tablespace b

11. New tablespace, new user with full access to tablespace?

12. Moving a table from one tablespace to another tablespace

13. Oracle 9i XMLType temp tablespace problem