xsl:sort problems with large number

Post by Anatole Tartakovsk » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 07:24:02

xsl:sort seems to have problem with sorting mixture of numbers in different
formats
 sorting descending:
    20
    1.12345E8
    50
after sorting :
    50
    20
    1.12345E8
seems that E8 is ignored altogeter.

not that is stops us - would be nice to fix - causes performance problem to
do formatting when generating data

Thanks, Anatole

xsl:sort problems with large number

Post by Martin Honne » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 04:03:15

Scientifi notation is not supported by xslt/xpath besides for output
formatting

--

        Martin Honnen
        http://javascript.faqts.com/

1. XSL Sorting of Large Amounts of Data using the number() method

Has anyone had any success in sorting large amounts of number data in
XSL by casting the value in the "order-by" value to a number using the
number()information method. I have followed the example given in the WEB
workshop for sorting XML as folows:

  <xsl:for-each select="/Orders/Order" order-by="number(OrderID)">

but it does not work for large amounts of data. If I remove the number
() function I successfully get all orders sorted as text, but this is
not the desired sort method.

I did some more tests that revealed the following:

1. Cutting down the amount of data that is being sorted significantly
resulted in the sort on one column working perfectly.

<xsl:for-each select="/Orders/Order" order-by="number(OrderID)">

2. Adding a second sort field as in:
<xsl:for-each select="/Orders/Order" order-by="number(OrderID);number
(LineNum)">

Messes up the sort again.

My Conclusion:

It seems that there is a bug/limitation that prevents the technology
from working beyond a certain size of data. This also depends on the
number of sort fields as the more sort fields the more working buffer
is required.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Has anyone encountered the same problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated>

Thanks
Naamat Al-Aswad
Applications Developer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. 2038+ (start useing the century encoding scheme NOW!)

3. Sort problem : float numbers

4. Mac Synch Duplicating

5. XSL/XPATH and sorting abs(number)

6. Vx Virus?/Windows 98 Image on Startup

7. Sorting Numbers using XSL.

8. Getting ready in Scotland - full text of Scotsman article

9. Number() sorting in XSL

10. xsl:sort when mix of numbers and null values

11. Newbie xsl:sort and numbering question

12. How do i sort a list of numbers using XSL

13. Parser Hanging; Large number of optional tags