XML and the '<' , '>', single quote chararacters

XML and the '<' , '>', single quote chararacters

Post by Bill » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

How does one account for handling > and < when passing XML strings between
sources? Is there some method to tell parser not to interpret these?

Also I am trying to use single quotes within the XML string and then pass
the XML string into a javascript variable. I am sure you can guess the
results since javascript is using the single quotes to denote a text string.
Double quotes do no work either as I am already using them within the XML
string. Suggestions?

Thanx

Bill

XML and the '<' , '>', single quote chararacters

Post by Erik Wahlstro » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There are five predefined 'charater entities' in XML
Quote:>   ->     &gt;

<   ->     &lt;
"    ->     &quot;
'     ->    &apos;
&    ->   &amp;

These are predefined so you do not need them defined in A DTD. Any other
character entities must be declared in a DTD.

Quote:> How does one account for handling > and < when passing XML strings between
> sources? Is there some method to tell parser not to interpret these?

> Also I am trying to use single quotes within the XML string and then pass
> the XML string into a javascript variable. I am sure you can guess the
> results since javascript is using the single quotes to denote a text
string.
> Double quotes do no work either as I am already using them within the XML
> string. Suggestions?

> Thanx

> Bill

1. Create '<' and '>' by <xsl:eval>

Hi,
I wants to create '<TD>' by an <xsl:eval>, but the parser changes it
into '&lt;TD&gt;'. What could I do ?

Thanks for your help

Frank

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Vogle, K&R -> C++

3. Redefining Tag Delimiter ('<' --> '[')??

4. where can I get c-client?

5. outputting '<' and '>'

6. Purify 5.0 and HP-UX 11.00 and Motif2.1

7. Problem with 'Or' operator in '<xsl:if>' statement

8. Seminar

9. output of '<', '>'

10. Problems outputting '<' and '>'

11. PRB: xsl changing '<' in cdata into '&lt;'

12. Entity declaration for '<' and '&' in a DTD