XMLDOM Memory Leak - Delayed Memory Cleanup

XMLDOM Memory Leak - Delayed Memory Cleanup

Post by Microsoft New » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Proggers,
    Any assistance will earn you a gold star.  Is the term Delayed Memory
Cleanup (DMC in this world of acronyms) an excuse for a solution to the
memory consumption by the DOM object.  My scenario:  I am using MSMQ to send
messages through an entire process made up of individual small proceses and
the messages are XML strings.  When the MSMQ Event fires the message body is
the XML data from which I load into the Newly created DOM via the New
keyword using the .loadxml method.  This operation does work but the process
rarely ever gets a chance to "breath" and only when an individual process is
stopped an then restarted is the memory cleaned up.   I have searched the
MSDN pages high and low and have posted severval questions to the net and
have gotten no replys.  Some numbers to consume:  Server is a dual 600 MHZ
NT SP 5 with 512 Mem,  I run a process about 18 hours and in that time
period it can exceed 80000k of memory, granted it is a visual basic app so

and see it consume 4k then another 4k and yet another 4k and then release 4k
and back to consuming again.   I have declared all my objects and use no
form created objects and cleanup all my objects when complete.  I am not
using the newest version, however; upon recommendation I may have to.....

Bo Kohut
Lead Development
Electronic Payment, Inc.

XMLDOM Memory Leak - Delayed Memory Cleanup

Post by John Metzge » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We are building this style of components in VB. Ours are MTS hosted
components - the only trick I have seen recently is to set the "Unattended
Execution" and "Retained in Memory" check boxes on the component properties.
This is nothing to do with MSXML per se, but appears to be a VB runtime bug
fix when building COM components.
Hope this helps

>Proggers,
>    Any assistance will earn you a gold star.  Is the term Delayed Memory
>Cleanup (DMC in this world of acronyms) an excuse for a solution to the
>memory consumption by the DOM object.  My scenario:  I am using MSMQ to
send
>messages through an entire process made up of individual small proceses and
>the messages are XML strings.  When the MSMQ Event fires the message body
is
>the XML data from which I load into the Newly created DOM via the New
>keyword using the .loadxml method.  This operation does work but the
process
>rarely ever gets a chance to "breath" and only when an individual process
is
>stopped an then restarted is the memory cleaned up.   I have searched the
>MSDN pages high and low and have posted severval questions to the net and
>have gotten no replys.  Some numbers to consume:  Server is a dual 600 MHZ
>NT SP 5 with 512 Mem,  I run a process about 18 hours and in that time
>period it can exceed 80000k of memory, granted it is a visual basic app so

>and see it consume 4k then another 4k and yet another 4k and then release
4k
>and back to consuming again.   I have declared all my objects and use no
>form created objects and cleanup all my objects when complete.  I am not
>using the newest version, however; upon recommendation I may have to.....

>Bo Kohut
>Lead Development
>Electronic Payment, Inc.

XMLDOM Memory Leak - Delayed Memory Cleanup

Post by Michael D. Lon » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

FWIW, this is the same type of behavior I observe with
objects using ADO under constant load with no breathers.
Stopping the package results in the memory cleaning up.

This same type of behavior also appears with DCOM, but
the guys I spoke with at Microsoft Support indicated that
the source of the DCOM leak was due to implementing a
client-side caching algorithm to improve workstation
performance.

Mike

> Proggers,
>     Any assistance will earn you a gold star.  Is the term Delayed Memory
> Cleanup (DMC in this world of acronyms) an excuse for a solution to the
> memory consumption by the DOM object.  My scenario:  I am using MSMQ to
send
> messages through an entire process made up of individual small proceses
and
> the messages are XML strings.  When the MSMQ Event fires the message body
is
> the XML data from which I load into the Newly created DOM via the New
> keyword using the .loadxml method.  This operation does work but the
process
> rarely ever gets a chance to "breath" and only when an individual process
is
> stopped an then restarted is the memory cleaned up.   I have searched the
> MSDN pages high and low and have posted severval questions to the net and
> have gotten no replys.  Some numbers to consume:  Server is a dual 600 MHZ
> NT SP 5 with 512 Mem,  I run a process about 18 hours and in that time
> period it can exceed 80000k of memory, granted it is a visual basic app so

minutes
> and see it consume 4k then another 4k and yet another 4k and then release
4k
> and back to consuming again.   I have declared all my objects and use no
> form created objects and cleanup all my objects when complete.  I am not
> using the newest version, however; upon recommendation I may have to.....

> Bo Kohut
> Lead Development
> Electronic Payment, Inc.

1. Delayed memory cleanup (MSXML 4)

Is delayed memory cleanup still active in MSXML4 (RTM version) ?

I have a strange problem of "memory leaks" and I wonder where it come
from.
I use MSXML in a multi-threads ISAPI application (written in Delphi).
Each thread get a XML file and convert it using a XSLT document.
The transform process is rounded by CoInitialize and CoUnInitialize and
before CoUnInit, all my interfaces are set to NIL.
Using a memory tracker, I notice that after CoUnInit, I don't recover
all
my memory and that MSXML4.DLL don't unload ...
After a day of test, my ISAPI grows to 180 Mb and then, crashes !

Some questions :
1) Is delayed memory cleanup still active in MSXML4 ?
2) Can I turn it off ?
3) If not, how can I unload MSXML library between two uses ?
4) Will Microsoft inactive this "feature" in a next release or let us
inactive it ?

Thanks for an answer,

Laurent Merckx.

2. Reds look like orange!

3. was there be any Memory leaks by using MSXML ????I had used MS DHTML but failed for its memory leaks

4. CD101: Drive not ready

5. memory leak when calling transcode() function

6. frequency to voltage converter

7. transcode xerces c++ memory leaks

8. Pork.......Crow.......Pork.......Crow.......Pork........Crow

9. Help! Memory Leak or Bogus Pointer

10. xerces parser pooling memory leak

11. Xerces C++ parser memory leak

12. Simple Xerces C++ program causing memory leaks / crash on Windows NT.

13. XML.DomDocument Memory leak when loading large amounts of data??