XML to *ML

Post by Jari Laaksone » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Has anybody done conversion from one XML file to two or more
other *ML's? I mean a situation where you have a basic structure
and content, and you want to generate different documents using
different style from it, for example HTML with and without CSS,
or WML.

What kind of approach would you suggest using this kind of
system in Java server (servlet) environment? The primary user
interface is for web browsers (HTML) but a simpler version of same
UI would be generated for small and slow mobile terminals, for
example PDA's and WAP phones.

--
Jari Laaksonen
TeamWARE Group Oy

XML to *ML

Post by yclept Keshl » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

That's one of the things XSL is uesd for.

More generally, it's referred to as "transcoding" -- taking data from
one representation and converting it into another. XSL can handle many
(but not all) of the common XML to XML transcoding tasks. For others,
you may need other tools, or may wind up writing custom code that works
directly with a parser/generator (probably via either the DOM or SAX
APIs).

And yes, subsetting and reorganizing data for PDAs and the like is an
ongoing area of research.

1. ML baseball record in XML

Hi,

I am looking for the 1998 ML baseball players record in XML.
I looked at it once, but forgot where it is.

Many thanks
Dongwook

--
Dongwook Shin
Visiting Scholar

Tel: (301) 435-3257
FAX: (301) 480-3035

2. Out of Office Doesn't Work

3. Other ?ML Standards

4. Reading CD audio tracks on a Sun

5. Financial ML Available ?

6. Help I put the wrong date in when balancing my account

7. a ML that deals with citing sources?

8. Media Player stopped working

9. standard or drafted ML for publishers

10. ML Transformer Proxy

11. Math ML

12. Can it be done? : HTML embedded in X ML, then transformed using XSL

13. Merging XML, or rather, selecting some XML from other XML based on some other XML