XSL Browsers

Post by Jacki » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:01:39

Hi Group,

I created an xsl stylesheet for my xml document under WinXP with IE6
installed.  The results are as expected.
However, when I try to view the same document using IE 5, the document is
not displayed.

I have used the following style sheet declaration
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

... when I change it to

<xsl:stylesheet
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">

it still does not work because I have used elements/attributes which are
only available in the latest version of xlst i.e choose

I was reading - I think on W3.org.com where you can specify forward
compatibility by changing the version number.  I tried this but it still
does not work under IE5.

Is there a way that I can get the document to be displayed on both browsers
without having to re-write everything.

TIA

Jackie

XSL Browsers

Post by Oleg Tkachenk » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:24:46

> I created an xsl stylesheet for my xml document under WinXP with IE6
> installed.  The results are as expected.
> However, when I try to view the same document using IE 5, the document is
> not displayed.

IE5 doesn't support xslt out of box, one have to install msxml3 in
replace mode to get xslt support. See msxml faq:
http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

XSL Browsers

Post by Stuart Celarie » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:19:46

Jackie,

WD-xsl is not a downward revision of XSLT 1.0. It is a completely separate
language, hence the different namespace. Forget about forward compatibility,
that doesn't apply here. WD-xsl is also Microsoft specific and obsolete. So
don't go there.

To extend on what Oleg said, it is a source of confusion to think of IE (any
version) as supporting XSLT. The XSLT support comes from MSXML which is a
COM component that IE looks for. While different versions of MSXML ship with
different versions of IE, MSXML also ships with a variety of other
applications and operating systems, so IE and MSXML are independent of one
another.

When you use the <?xml-stylesheet?> processing instruction to invoke an XSLT
transformation from the source XML document, IE uses the version-independent
(or default) version of MSXML. You can determine which versions of MSXML are
installed on a computer, and which one is configured as the
version-independent one by viewing the MSXML Sniffer page [1]. When you
install MSXML 3.0 in replace mode, you make it become the
version-independent version. Since MSXML 3.0 was the first version to
support XSLT 1.0 (instead of the dead-end WD-xsl), that is the one you'd
like to be configured as the version-independent one.

MSXML 4.0 has a far superior XSLT processor, but you cannot configure it to
be the version-independent one (by design). In order to be able to control
which version of MSXML is used for XSLT processing, you have to abandon
using the <?xml-stylesheet?> processing instruction and write a very small
amount of boilerplate script in an HTML page to perform the transform. I
would argue that is generally better than using <?xml-stylesheet?>
processing instructions anyway since that method is very limited, and - as
you discovered - fairly brittle in depending on how . For a more complete
discussion of this whole matter, and examples of how to perform the
transform in script in an HTML page, see the article I wrote called XSLT in
MSXML [2].

BTW, the "Unofficial MSXML XSLT FAQ" that Oleg referenced contains some
inaccuracies. It has not been updated since 2/11/2001, even though I've sent
in corrections. Caveat emptor! (Let the buyer beware!)

Cheers,
Stuart
--
Stuart Celarier, Fern Creek, www.ferncrk.com
Consultant on .NET, Win32, C#, C++, COM, XML, XSLT and more.

[1]Chris Bayes' MSXML Sniffer,
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml/index.xml?/xml/utils/msxml_sniffer.htm
[2] XSLT in MSXML, http://www.perfectxml.com/articles/xml/XsltInMsxml.asp

XSL Browsers

Post by Oleg Tkachenk » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:46:32

> BTW, the "Unofficial MSXML XSLT FAQ" that Oleg referenced contains some
> inaccuracies. It has not been updated since 2/11/2001, even though I've sent
> in corrections. Caveat emptor! (Let the buyer beware!)

You right, they are not up to date. Well, I need new one msxml faq, I think
your comprehensive article perfectly fits the need, would you mind if I will
point out there?

Quote:> [2] XSLT in MSXML, http://www.perfectxml.com/articles/xml/XsltInMsxml.asp

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

XSL Browsers

Post by Stuart Celarie » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:28:44

Oleg,

Please feel free to reference my XSLT in MSXML article. I was motivated to
write because I was answering the same questions over and over in this and
other newsgroups.

Cheers,
Stuart
--
Stuart Celarier, Fern Creek, www.ferncrk.com
Consultant on .NET, Win32, C#, C++, COM, XML, XSLT and more.

1. Using an XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser

As some list members know I have been very positively impressed with the
Antenna House XSL Formatter.

I was even more impressed with it today when I found that I could use the
Antenna House XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser.

If you have downloaded the pre-release version of the XSL Formatter simply type
"http://www.xsl-fo.com/HelloWorld.fo" in the small window for entering the
Document name and then click the Blue button to run the Formatter and, hey
presto, you can view an XSL-FO page across the Web.

If you haven't already tried out the Antenna House XSL Formatter then visit
www.AntennaHouse.com and try the free download of the pre-release version.

I think I have stated this before, but I have no contact with Antenna House
other than as an impressed user of the Antenna House XSL Formatter.

Andrew Watt

2. Help-Chosing Tape Drives

3. getting a browser to show XML instead of HTML via XSL

4. Lost names when imported web with a wizard

5. XML + XSL -> HTML, + CSS : poor display in Swing Java browser ?

6. need keys and blanking plates for E450

7. browser support for XSL transformations?

8. WTD : someone to draw sprites

9. Creating a new browser window that can display XSL?

10. Newbie: Which viewer/browser to show XML with DTD and XSL ?

11. dynamically change XSL or CSS with browser

12. XSL and MathML Browser ???

13. Browser Detection for XSL output options?