Dynamic Documents

Post by Michael Raffi » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am looking at the possibility of using XML to create some dynamic
documents for a company that I am working for, however, I am not sure if
what we would like to do is even possible.

What we are looking at doing is, having the user select certain attributes
off a form.  From that we will query an Oracle database to retrieve the data
they requested and then generate the output.

I guess, what I am trying to ask is that I am not sure how I would generate
the XSL to deal with this type of situation.  It seems that the XSL would
also have to be dynamically generated.  Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions?

Michael

Dynamic Documents

Post by Greg Prentic » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

That seems similar to something we are creating.  Basically it is an online
survey/s.  When a user logs in  to a particular survey we create an xml file
that is used to hold his responses.  As he scrolls through the forms, which
are dynamically created from a database, we update the xml.  This allows a
person the ability to have a previous/next button.  They can also come back
at a later date and edit the info.  We have all of this working except the
creation of the xml data.  I have already successfully created xml with
MSXML.DLL so its just a matter of adding the code to the .asp pages, which
I'm doing today.  Also the xml is generated dynamically.  This allows us
alot of flexibility with how the data is stored.  We are using the
dymanically created html form names as fields.

Gregory ;=)