access to DOM for XML in IE5

Post by John Mer » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm not sure about the second question, but the answer to the first is 'yes.'  You
might want to take a look at "XML in IE5" by Alex Homer, ISBN 1861001576.  He
discusses behaviors as well.

John

> (1) Can a script access the DOM of an XML file that is _browsed_ (not an XML
>     data island) in IE5 ? This would allow modifications  (at the client side)
>     of the currently browsed XML page.

> (2) I can attach a reaction with the "behavior" mechanism, to a _browsed_
>     XML file in IE5. But then, what can I do with the objects "document"
>     or "element" ? This is normally only specified for HTML pages;
>     What methods/attributes are they offering ? Why "document.selection"
>     is reported to be "not implemented" in this case ?

> Please, any hint will help me.

> Thanks in advance.

access to DOM for XML in IE5

Post by Bapst Frederi » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> I'm not sure about the second question, but the answer to the first is 'yes.'  You
> might want to take a look at "XML in IE5" by Alex Homer, ISBN 1861001576.  He
> discusses behaviors as well.

I have this book, but don't find the answer !
In fact, I knew how to access the DOM from a XML data island, but not from
the XML Viewer. I just received an answer that the "document" object has
the properties XMLDocument and XSLDocument. My second question is whether
IE5 supports the selection mechanism in the XML Viewer as it does in HTML.
This would enable do detect the selected DOM node from the formatted display,
which would be very nice (eg to implement an editor on top of IE5 !).

Anyway, thank you for your cooperation.