XSL Sorting of Large Amounts of Data using the number() method

XSL Sorting of Large Amounts of Data using the number() method

Post by alas.. » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone had any success in sorting large amounts of number data in
XSL by casting the value in the "order-by" value to a number using the
number()information method. I have followed the example given in the WEB
workshop for sorting XML as folows:

  <xsl:for-each select="/Orders/Order" order-by="number(OrderID)">

but it does not work for large amounts of data. If I remove the number
() function I successfully get all orders sorted as text, but this is
not the desired sort method.

I did some more tests that revealed the following:

1. Cutting down the amount of data that is being sorted significantly
resulted in the sort on one column working perfectly.

<xsl:for-each select="/Orders/Order" order-by="number(OrderID)">

2. Adding a second sort field as in:
<xsl:for-each select="/Orders/Order" order-by="number(OrderID);number
(LineNum)">

Messes up the sort again.

My Conclusion:

It seems that there is a bug/limitation that prevents the technology
from working beyond a certain size of data. This also depends on the
number of sort fields as the more sort fields the more working buffer
is required.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Has anyone encountered the same problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated>

Thanks
Naamat Al-Aswad
Applications Developer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. paginating large amount of data

Does anyone know a clear and easy to understand algorithm to paginate a
large amount of data using xml/xslt? (The data is contained in an xml doc
and, at the moment, is transformed into html using xslt into one too-large
table. I would prefer only 30 rows to be displayed on the page at a time,
with links to each set of 30 rows in the usual "page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 " style.)

2. Compiling GNU

3. XML.DomDocument Memory leak when loading large amounts of data??

4. system error

5. Storing large amounts of data in Application Object

6. Answer to: Help with Missing Drive Icon...

7. xsl:sort problems with large number

8. "No options screen yet" ?

9. How to find the large amount xml files...

10. IXMLDOMDocumentFragment - how to? - moving large amount of children

11. Sorting Numbers using XSL.

12. Transforming large numbers of documents using XSLT?

13. How do i sort a list of numbers using XSL