Flash and Pocket PC and Updating Local files

Flash and Pocket PC and Updating Local files

Post by bryn » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:50:26

Hi,

I am looking at designing an application targetted at Pocket PC type PDA's (specifically the iPaq).

The application calls for loading a data file onto the PDA, then using the flash application to update the data file; when all done, send it back (using active synch).
Choices for development tools looks like Flash; MS-VB; AppForge.  I prefer Flash since we are already set up for it.
Nice things like wireless LAN and bluetooth for Internet Access are not feasible for this application, so we are stuck with using activesynch.

So, it seems easy enough, I just need to send an XML file to the PDA, have Flash open it as an XML object, and update it.

However I don't see function calls in Flash that allow XML (or any other) files locally on the client (PDA or PC) to be opened or saved;  the commands I see refer to URL's on a server, or components etc.

Can Flash 6 Player or the Projector version open and read/write to (xml or text or whatever) files resident on the filesystem of the PC/PDA ?

When is the Pocket PC 2003 version of Flash likely to support Flash 7 ? (currently looks like Flash 6 only, which may be limiting).

Does the Pocket PC version of Flash 6 Player/Projector support the XLM function set ?

Thanks,
- Bryn Parrott

Bryn Parrott
The Changing Workplace Ltd,
Sussex, UK

Flash and Pocket PC and Updating Local files

Post by slamdunkinpoo » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:48:45

Using loadVars.load or XML.load you can load/read the local file in flash. Use XML object and load your file into it. For save operation you will have to send it to VB program using XMLSocket(flash) and winsock(VB).  Once you have the XML object in VB its easy to save it locally.

Flash and Pocket PC and Updating Local files

Post by bryn » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:15:25

Thanks for that...

Seems like Flash not viable for my current project (sad to say I know).

This seems a pity...

One might wish that Macromedia were more serious in regard to proper application development, and saw more potential in the Mobile application market; if they did there would be no nonsense regarding Flash 6/ Flash 7 support, and they would support things like Symbian as well as Windows support.

So we are now looking at AppForge; looks more viable.

Cheers,

Bryn Parrott
The Changing Workplace Ltd,
Sussex, UK

1. NEW Tutorial - Opening Files on Your Pocket PC via Flash

Sometimes when youre creating Flash content for Pocket PCs you might want to have other types of media to be available to the end user, such as Windows Media files or MP3 files.

Its not very easy to embed video into Flash content and to play it back via the Flash player on the Pocket PC.  So why not let the Windows Media Player on the Pocket PC handle the video/audio files and let Flash handle other areas of multimedia content.

I've just completed a tutorial (with source files) that explains how to do this step-by-step and you can download it from the "Development > Tutorials" section of my site:
http://www.pocketpcflash.net

Best,

Bill Perry
www.pocketpcflash.net

Team Macromedia Volunteer for Flash
co-author, "Flash Enabled: Flash Design and Development for Devices"
-------------------------

2. Retrieving icon properties

3. Pocket PC: Open Pocket Word from Flash

4. SPAM... Dont bother

5. How to tag files for reflowing in pocket PC

6. Changing every lines thickness...

7. Indesign files with Pocket PC

8. Access ldb file

9. tagged pdf files from Framemaker will not reflow on a pocket pc

10. view .swf file without html files.( for pocket pc )

11. New Pocket PC device - Fujitsu Pocket LOOX

12. updating local files through browser

13. Updating local and remote files