Article - Creating Apps with Standalone Flash Player for Pocket PC

Article - Creating Apps with Standalone Flash Player for Pocket PC

Post by Bill Perr » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:36:29

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/devices/articles/sap_ppc.html

If you have any questions please email me.

ciao,

Bill Perry  |  www.pocketpcflash.net
Team Macromedia Volunteer for Flash
--------------------------

Article - Creating Apps with Standalone Flash Player for Pocket PC

Post by slamdunkinpoo » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:29:26

Nice and detailed article. If License is not a issue then FlashAssist and Bryht Player are better solution. If a developer has any previous programming experience (even school level) in C and ActionScript then 'htmlHost' is the best solution for him/her.

Article - Creating Apps with Standalone Flash Player for Pocket PC

Post by MINGUIT » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:48:14

Hi Bill

 Excellent article.......I was browsing through the net and I came across a
player by the name of Kinoma and a application builter by the name of
ishellMobile for the Palm. It seems that Macromedia really got late into the
handheld industry, especially when the player Kinoma is mostly in every Palm
handheld including the Sony CLIE series. Therefore, is Macromedia directing
their efforts towards the Pocket PC environment?  Would love to hear your
opinion in regards to this matter. Thanks and God Bless..

 www.ymisitio.co

Article - Creating Apps with Standalone Flash Player for Pocket PC

Post by Bill Perr » Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:24:02

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed the article

 I've heard of and seen both the iShell Moblie and Kinoma SWF players for Palm
OS devices and they do an OK job.  The one thing that differentiates these
players from an official Macromedia Flash Player is they don't FULLY support
SWF files.  CLIE devices supports up to version 5 SWF files and I believe the
Kinoma Player only supports up to version 3 SWF files

 For the Kinoma Player you need to encode a SWF file into the Kinoma Player
format, transfer the new file to your device and then play it back using the
Kinoma Player

 I'd have to disagree with you about Macromedia getting in late into the
handheld industry, handhelds powerful enough to play Flash content have only
been around since 2001 - so it's only 3 years old.  True technology moves at a
rapid pace but I feel Macromedia has done a great job of providing us
developers with tools to develop content for several handheld platforms as well
as having Flash Players for these devices

 In March of 2001 Macromedia released Flash Player 4 for Pocket PCs.... now
we're up to version 6.  I think this trend will continue - as hardware
performance increases and the price of these devices continue to come down
Macromedia will be there

 See this [L=other
thread]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?cat...
95&threadid=747675[/L] for my thoughts about a Flash Player for non-CLIE Palm
OS devices

 Let me know if you have any other questions

 Best

1. Standalone Player and Flash Player 6 for Pocket PC

FROM MM , Frequently asked questions :
 What is the difference between the Standalone Player and Flash Player 6 for
Pocket PC?
 The Flash Player 6 for Pocket PC is installed into Pocket Internet Explorer
and Flash content plays within the browser. The Standalone player plays content
outside of the browser and a developer can create full screen application
experiences.  The Standalone player has the unique feature of creating
projectors   that can then be redistributed to consumers, without the need of
the player been installed.
  READY FOR DIRECTOR MX 2004 "PROJECTOR" ?   OR , ONLY  MM FLASH  .EXE ?

 Thank YOU!!
 Alex

2. Nickjr kills my Linux box

3. Standalone player for Pocket PC

4. Deleting Adobe files restored to wrong location

5. Installing Pocket PC Standalone player

6. Alter Radio button Image

7. Firing up external Apps from Standalone Flash Player?

8. What frame are embedded fonts embedded in?

9. Pocket PC 3rd party projector apps

10. Full screen apps on Pocket PC 2002/2003

11. Launching other apps from standalone player