scripting for a french web site

Post by micard » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 02:49:13

I'm writing a menu based on MM tree menu, of macromedia.

the site is a french one, so the words in the menu have accents and others special characteres.
In the xml file, I can't write those accents, the keys on the keyboard don't match, I'm lost.

I remarked that in the ActionScripts en Falsh I can't either write the comments in french, but on the stage and the timeline, keys of the keyboard match.

My system Mac OS 9. 2 is english. and Flash 5.0 too.

What is wrong

scripting for a french web site

Post by Bill Perr » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:48:18

you might need to have a localized version of Flash 5 or your OS to get the special characters.  As far as XML not being able to parse the information you might want to check out the following sites for more information:

http://www.xml.com

http://www.xml101.com

Good luck,

Bill Perry
www.pocketpcflash.net

Team Macromedia Volunteer for Flash
www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia

scripting for a french web site

Post by micard » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:05:15

Thank you for answering.

I effectively, enfin!, identify the problem coming from the Xml Parser of Flash on the Mac, and
may be, also, coming from the fact that Flash doesn't support Unicode (I'm not sure).
I don't understand how come Macromedia could think that any Mac english webmaster
(or english equipment) has never to produce french .xml documents.

I'm not please to know that I should change all my system and install a localized french version of Flash.
I would say that Flash has a serious limitation problem. Xml is a format very essential for the Web.
And, in fact, I've paid the complete price, why should I accept that functionnality unfunctionnal? De plus,
why I should work so hard to find it?

But anyway, I should solve that limitation. So what you think of the idea to install Virtual PC on the Mac,
and install a Windows english version of Flash. One of my friend has no problem to produce french
document, but he works on window with an english version of Flash.

Thank you

scripting for a french web site

Post by Bill Perr » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 05:32:23

hey Micardi,

You can try installing Virtual PC on your Mac and an English version of Flash 5 to get around the Unicode issue with Flash 5.

Here are some links you may want to check out:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/unicode_support_...

http://www.unicode.org/