Supported devices/wireless technology

Post by rigpi » Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:27:55

Hey everyone,

I am doing a little R&D on a little wireless project and am wondering if Macromedia family of products is a viable choice for developing such an application. We are leaning towards using WiFi/Wap/Bluetooth/802.11 - dont know alot about this technology and their differences - and the iPaq family of hand held devices (4150 or 5500 series) and the WinCE environment. Now I noticed, as of today, that MX2004 has templates for mobile devices..bonus....and a list of devices it supports. Is this the only devices that support Flash or will you be able to develop these applications on other series ie 4150/5500+ series of iPaq's?

The project:
will consist of using a dB on a server (currently MS Access - XP version) in which the hand held can communicate with to add/save/update information on a particular person, as well as communicate with a particular desktop PC back and forth (100% wireless connectivity - do not want to "Hot Sync"); similar to Instant Messaging (ICQ, MSN, Yahoo), but a full fledge application - where certain information is sent to the desktop and user on the dekstop can send the information back to the hand held - particularily a certain field.

And also, since I am relatively new to this "idea" are there some open source tutorials/demos that I could view and study, learn? What steps do I have to take to ensure that I could test this application on a local desktop - we do not have the hardware yet. Can you test these applications with the WinCE emulator?

If you have any guidance, advice, etc - and please by all means feel free to talk to me like I am an idiot - that would be tremendous.

Thanx for all your help
rigpig

Post by slamdunkinpoo » Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:28:16

Now I noticed, as of today, that MX2004 has templates for mobile devices..bonus....and a list of devices it supports. Is this the only devices that support Flash or will you be able to develop these applications on other series ie 4150/5500+ series of iPaq's?

Templates are there just to show how a movie would look like in that particular device, IF you somehow make it to run in fullscreen mode.

Try MySql (www.mysql.com) database server. MS Access is just one flat file.

 in which the hand held can communicate with to add/save/update information on a particular person, as well as communicate with a particular desktop PC back and forth (100% wireless connectivity - do not want to "Hot Sync"); similar to Instant Messaging (ICQ, MSN, Yahoo), but a full fledge application - where certain information is sent to the desktop and user on the dekstop can send the information back to the hand held - particularily a certain field.

You can use Flash player(client) in almost same way as Web browser (client) with Apache/IIS (web Server).

 test this application on a local desktop - we do not have the hardware yet. Can you test these applications with the WinCE emulator?

No it will not run in WinCE emulator, though you can run your application in normal web broswer for testing.

If you have any guidance, advice, etc - and please by all means feel free to talk to me like I am an idiot - that would be tremendous.

Guidelines :
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/devices/development_kits.html

Samples :
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/devices/sample_files.html