business model for Flash mobile

Post by hayde » Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:45:49

at this point in time which of the following activities would you say is the most common situation for Flash developers doing Flash mobile work?

1) Flash developer building an application and selling or distributing themselves directly to consumers.

2) Flash developer subcontracted to do a specific project for an organization or company.

Web developer and Flash developer
http://www.aviarts.com

Editor for http://www.sonify.org -
interactive sound for the web and mobile devices.

business model for Flash mobile

Post by Steve Howar » Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:56:38

Quote:> at this point in time which of the following activities would you say is

the most common situation for Flash developers doing Flash mobile work?
Quote:

> 1) Flash developer building an application and selling or distributing

themselves directly to consumers.
Quote:

> 2) Flash developer subcontracted to do a specific project for an

organization or company.

Most common? No idea. What would I do? 2   :-)

Steve

business model for Flash mobile

Post by slamdunkinpoo » Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:15:06

3) Watching MM Handhelds Forum for clues to get around FP gotchas.

4) Waiting for release of FP 7 for PPC & Palm OS

this.gotoAndPlay(3)

business model for Flash mobile

Post by CleveWaterma » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:08:54

I don't know of any way to protect the intellectual property of Flash content.  If you can't prevent copying, I can't see any way of making a buck on something you would sell on Handango.  There's all sorts of educational content you could create, just nothing you can protect well enough to make the effort worthwhile.

business model for Flash mobile

Post by slamdunkinpoo » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:12:43

Most developers wouldn't even care to look at the code they can copy the application just after seeing the screenshots of gui. Its always more difficult to read someone's code than writing your own from scratch. Reverse engineering tools are available for other languages like Java, php etc.

If you want to hide particular part(algorithm, encryption..) of your application then you can use a client server model with flash as client and C++/C#/VB as server on PPC. Place your secret code in server part. Client and server can talk to each other using Sockets.

Or try some other language like TinySVG.

business model for Flash mobile

Post by CleveWaterma » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:21:02

Reverse engineering by a developer is not my primary concern when I refer to protecting intellectual content.

Here is an example.

The most obvious educational content that would sell like hotcakes would be a foreign language tutor.  Let's say I make it and want to sell it to 10 college students for $5 each.  However, the first person who buys it just beams it to the other 9 people in his class. With the money they save, they head out to the park and drink beer while idyllically sitting under a tree and running their language tutor.

Is there anything about Flash running on a handheld that would prevent this?

Thanks

business model for Flash mobile

Post by hayde » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:42:01

this is an important concern.

how can you keep people from re-distributing your SWF?

http://www.aviarts.com - web developer and flash developer
http://www.sonify.org - interactive sound for the web and mobile devices.

business model for Flash mobile

Post by MaxCarl » Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:43:58

Quote:> Is there anything about Flash running on a handheld that would prevent
this?
> how can you keep people from re-distributing your SWF?

Simple! An execution license server solves the issue.

Massimiliano Carli
weboffice at http://www.mc2labs.com

business model for Flash mobile

Post by Bill Perr » Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:13:20

For me it's options 2, 3 and 4

 Yes I agree it's an issue with protecting your SWF content and selling it to
make a profit but there are some benefits of just attempting to do so

 1) If you spend 4 hours on an app, package and put it up for sale on Handango
for $10 a download, just figure out your hourly rate and how many copies you'd
have to sell to break even for your time.  Anything on top of that is
reoccuring profit

 2) If you start to develop and sell your content then people (companies) will
contact you directly about developing a specific application for their needs
and will pay you much more than the $10/download you'd been charging.  Chances
are the client won't be concerned about users redistributing your Flash app
because it will be developed specifically for their company

 I'd still like to see an integrated solution for developers interested in
creating and selling their content as to protect their work but as or right now
I don't see any off-the-shelf software solutions for this.  There would be a
market for this type of application if someone decided to create it and sell
it..

 Best

1. business contact details, post office, mobile on websites discussion

Not strictly print design - but an important item in design and print business.

The subject was brought up that many people do not perceive businesses as genuine if they don't have contact details, and we should be aware of that.

(Below are two of the posts leading to this discussion)

Karen C - 2:06am Sep 6, 07 PST (#18 of 19) Edited: 06-Sep-2007 at 02:06am

Levonk - you are correct in most cases re the mobile and the address for established businesses. Although in Australia there seem to be more mobiles than landline phones due to the great distances.

All my suppliers require a physical address, but it's quite acceptable for correspondence and on websites to have a post office address as long as customers can contact you. If a customer calls me and asks for a physical address I can give it to them (after checking they are bonafide). Privacy issues and safety are important for home businesses, particularly with young children. Hence the post office address is preferred. But I agree that people wish to do business with businesses that they perceive as established.

The Australian Gift and Homewares Association suggests that we all check businesses with whom we transact on the Australian ABR website which is good advice. www.abr.gov.au

For the record, I have a post office address and a landline and mobile advertised on my own website and advertising because I want sales.

(This is an interesting thread. Perhaps we should have started a new post?)

Post Reply | Bookmark

levonk - 2:50am Sep 6, 07 PST (#19 of 19)

Karen - When I was in Australia 3 years ago, I wanted to buy a Mac PowerBook. I checked the websites of most of the stores and finally decided to buy from MacMall. I put the order but there was a delay. They had an address in Chatswood, so I went there. It turned out that the address was for MacCentric, and MacMall was just using that to have a phyisical address.

My point is, even in Australia, the need for a physical address seems to be important.

PS. I agree with you Karen. Maybe we should start a new thread.

2. problem loading variables

3. Need a Business Model

4. Conditional Build Tags

5. New Business Model = Shut Off Forums for the summer

6. Tutorials

7. Business to business flash sites

8. Swish or Wildform?

9. [Mobile.Actionscript.it presents the 2nd Mobile Game Contest]

10. How to display MULTICAST-stream in Flash for Mobile Devices (Flash Lite 2)

11. Camera follows model but doesnt rotate with model...

12. Drag To Rotate Model... rotates only a part of the model