GNU Emacs 18.32

Post by Richard M. Stallm » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 11:27:00

GNU Emacs version 18.32 is now available for FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu.
The differences from 18.31 are 400k long.

This version includes several new files of Lisp code plus new code for

Aside from VMS, only one major problem remains unsolved: unexec
produces an invalid file on Vaxes running system V release 2.2.  There
is no problem on 3b machines running V.2.2 or on Vaxes running V.2.0.
It would be very helpful for someone to figure out what is wrong here.

For VMS, it would be useful for people to write ways to send mail
and list directories.  The spurious newline problems appear to be
solved.

GNU Emacs 18.32

Post by Bill Wohl » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 22:54:00

  so we don't have a plethora of flames as we did last time rms posted
  a gnuemacs announcement, i'm including the file GETTING.GNU.SOFTWARE
  in this message.  i hope this message answers any unanswered
  questions.

        ----- GETTING.GNU.SOFTWARE follows -----
------------------------------------------------------------ -*-outline-*-
* Getting GNU Software

* GNU and the Free Software Foundation

Project GNU has organized itself as the Free Software Foundation.
We will continue with the following objectives:
  1) to create GNU as a full development/operating system.
  2) to distribute GNU and other useful software with source code and
permission to copy and redistribute.

* Available Software

Software currently available includes:
  GNU Emacs - includes:
        - manual source in TeX format.
        - an enhanced regex (regular expression) library.
  C Scheme - a block structured dialect of LISP.

See the file /u2/emacs/etc/MACHINES for the status of porting Emacs to
various machines and operating systems.

* How To Get The Software

The easiest way to get a copy of the distribution is from someone else
who has it.  You need not ask for permission to do so, or tell any one
else; just copy it.  The second easiest is to ftp it over the ARPANET
(see below).  The third easiest way is to uucp it (see below).

If you cannot get a copy either of these ways, you can order one from
the Free Software Foundation.  See the file /u2/emacs/etc/DISTRIB for
further information.  This file is primarily concerned with how to
ftp or uucp.

** GNU Emacs and How To FTP It

If you are on the Internet (note also simtel20 below), you can at
present copy the latest distribution version of GNU Emacs from the
file /u2/emacs/edist.tar on host prep.ai.mit.edu (or the file
/u2/emacs/edist.tar.Z which has been run through compress after tar).
These files are about 6 and 2.3 megabytes long, respectively.  After
you unpack the distribution, be sure to look at the files README and
INSTALL.

Some ftp'ers have found it necessary for successful file transfer:
   - to set the binary/image mode
   - to use another of prep.ai.mit.edu internet addresses than the
default for your machine.  They are (as of 22 Oct 86):
  128.52.14.14
  128.52.22.14
  128.52.32.14

Files of differences from previous widely distributed GNU Emacs
versions to the present version are also available on prep.ai.mit.edu
under names of the form diff-OO.OO-NN.NN in directory /u2/emacs .
These are made with diff -c.  Sometimes there are compressed
versions of these difference files as well; their names have .Z
appended.

The Emacs manual in source form is included in the distribution.
The dvi file for printing is /u2/emacs/emacs.dvi.

** Copying Only Recently Changed Files

A special version of rcp exists which allows you, on an Internet host,
to copy all GNU Emacs files whose last-mod-dates don't match your
files.  See the file RCP in the directory /u2/emacs/etc on
prep.ai.mit.edu for information on using it.

** Scheme and How To FTP It

The latest distribution version of C Scheme is in the directory
/u2/scheme/dist.  To obtain a "tarred" copy of this directory, telnet
to MIT-PREP and log in as scheme (password: scheme).  A file called
dist.tar will be created (if there isn't one already), and you will be
given a choice of the file transfer program to run (of all the ones
supported by PREP).  It should be self-explanatory (ha, ha! [try ? for
help]).

Read the files INSTALL and README in the top level CScheme directory.

The C Scheme distribution should work on 32-bit machines under VMS,
BSD 4.1 & 4.2, ATT systems 3 and 5, HPUX, and TRIX.  Some
conditionalization may have to be done for other machines and
operating systems.  Problems with the C Scheme distribution can be

For further information on Scheme refer to: "Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs", by Harold Abelson and Gerald J. Sussman with Julie
Sussman, The MIT Press & McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1985; and, the "Revised^3
Report on the Algorithmic Language Scheme", MIT Artificial Intelligence Memo
848a.  The later may be obtained by sending a check for $6.00 (as of Nov. 86)
per copy (U.S. funds) payable to (prepayment is required):

          Elizabeth Heepe
          Publications, Room NE43-818
          MIT Artifical Intelligence Laboratory
          545 Technology Square
          Cambridge, MA  02139

It is also available as: Jonathan Rees and William Clinger, editors,
"Revised^3 Report on the Algorthmic Language Scheme."  SIGPLAN Notices 21(12),
September 1986.

** Alternative Internet FTP Sources

The administrators of simtel20.arpa also maintains copies of GNU
distributed software for MILNET/DDN hosts.  It is available via
anonymous ftp from PD:<UNIX.GNU> in the original tar format.

The administrators of louie.udel.edu also maintains copies of GNU
Emacs.  The files are available via anonymous ftp under directory
~ftp/gnu.  louie's addresses are (as of 24 Oct 1986):
10.0.0.96   louie.udel.edu udel-louie.arpa udel-louie louie udel-relay udel .

** UUCP Source

OSU is distributing GNU Emacs via uucp.  Details from Karl Kleinpaste

* No Warranties

We distribute software in the hope that it will be useful, but
without any warranty.  No author or distributor of this software
accepts responsibility to anyone for the consequences of using it or
for whether it serves any particular purpose or works at all, unless
he says so in writing.

* If You Like The Software

If you like the software developed and distributed by the Free
Software Foundation, please express your satisfaction with a donation.
Your donations will help to support the Foundation and make our future
efforts successful, including a complete development and operating
system, called GNU (Gnu's Not Un*x), which will run Un*x user
programs.  For more information on GNU and the Foundation, contact us
at the above address.

GNU Emacs 18.32

Post by libe.. » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 02:31:00

I sure appreciated whoever did the split of the 18.31 version.
I *almost* succeeded in getting the latest version before it
became out-of-date.  It seems to be almost impossible for anyone
to get the whole thing in one ftp copy.  I have certainly wasted
lots of resources trying.  Something better is required.

If someone would take charge of splitting the latest version
in addition to compressing it that would be great.  I understand that
Stallman is not interested in this extra task.  Any volunteers?

While you're at it, it would help to know the compression factor and
the check sum of each split file.  I found that ftp may not catch all
transmission errors and when uncompress complains, it is difficult to
tell which split file is in error.  Furthermore, uncompress doesn't
even catch some errors and tar eventually complains - it's been
frustrating, let me tell you.

Dan LaLiberte

ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte

1. GNU Emacs 18.32

        I sure appreciated whoever did the split of the 18.31 version.
        I *almost* succeeded in getting the latest version before it
        became out-of-date.  It seems to be almost impossible for anyone
        to get the whole thing in one ftp copy.  I have certainly wasted
        lots of resources trying.  Something better is required.

Really. It seems that mit-prep is really loaded these days. I got my last
few copys from harvard and utsally. Perhaps A listing of secondary
distribution sites would help.

        If someone would take charge of splitting the latest version
        in addition to compressing it that would be great.  I understand that
        Stallman is not interested in this extra task.  Any volunteers?

The solution seems obvious to me. Make a distribution file from each major
directory: src, lisp, etc, ... I wonder how many useless copies of the
shortnames and cpp directories have flown over the net. Bet they don't
change much either.

        While you're at it, it would help to know the compression factor and
        the check sum of each split file.  I found that ftp may not catch all
        transmission errors and when uncompress complains, it is difficult to
        tell which split file is in error.  Furthermore, uncompress doesn't
        even catch some errors and tar eventually complains - it's been
        frustrating, let me tell you.

Agreed. A checksum or at least an ls -l should appear in the top directory.
The creation of these could be easily automated with the tar file creation.

        Dan LaLiberte

        ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte

And furthermore, my bowling average is unimpeachable!!!

2. Dumb SysAdmin can't figure out easy cabling problem

3. GNUemacs 18.32 dying on Gould

4. Wierdness with TextFace

5. Typo in xfns.c version 18.32

6. mysql select from array?

7. Patches to support gnu-emacs on Stardent machines posted to gnu.emacs.bug

8. Error installing BizTalk Server 2002 Toolkit for Microsoft .NET

9. XEmacs/gnus fails on MIME, but emacs/gnus works

10. gnus customize node crashes my box (GNU Emacs 21.2 on win98)

11. GNU Emacs 2 and Gnus: My local nnml-spools are base64

12. Mocklisp --> GNU [Re: loading then invoking lisp code with GNU emacs]