Where is giftoppm ? FAQ is wrong !

Post by Hele » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I can't find the giftoppm ptogram which is required for the Web browser
in xemacs 19.13. The FAQ says it should be included in netpbm package,
but IT IS NOT THERE ! I tried 2 distributions :  netpbm-1mar94.tar
and netpbm-1mar94.p1.tar. The only gif-handling program there
is giftopnm. I tried netscape search, got a lot of addresses which all
point to the same 2 distributions. Does somebody know where in the world
is giftoppm or maybe it is possible to replace it by giftopnm ?
Thank you !

Post by Wessel Kraa » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I can't find the giftoppm ptogram which is required for the Web browser
>in xemacs 19.13. The FAQ says it should be included in netpbm package,
>but IT IS NOT THERE ! I tried 2 distributions :  netpbm-1mar94.tar
>and netpbm-1mar94.p1.tar. The only gif-handling program there
>is giftopnm. I tried netscape search, got a lot of addresses which all
>point to the same 2 distributions. Does somebody know where in the world
>is giftoppm or maybe it is possible to replace it by giftopnm ?
>Thank you !

I had the same problem, but w3 will work with giftopnm 'automagically' if it is in your
path. (cf. the w3 elisp directory of the xemacs distribution)

Wessel.

Post by Peter J. Vessen » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I can't find the giftoppm ptogram which is required for the Web browser
: in xemacs 19.13. The FAQ says it should be included in netpbm package,
: but IT IS NOT THERE ! I tried 2 distributions :  netpbm-1mar94.tar
: and netpbm-1mar94.p1.tar. The only gif-handling program there
: is giftopnm. I tried netscape search, got a lot of addresses which all
: point to the same 2 distributions. Does somebody know where in the world
: is giftoppm or maybe it is possible to replace it by giftopnm ?
: Thank you !

giftopnm is a more general version of the program that would otherwise be
called giftoppm.  PNM means Portable aNy Map, whereas ppm means portable
pixmap.  In essence, if your gif file has only black and white, giftopnm
won't write a P6 or P3 style pnm, it will write the black and white format
(I forget what this one is called).

In summary, use it without fear.

Post by Ben Wi » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|: Hi,
|
|: I can't find the giftoppm ptogram which is required for the Web browser
|: in xemacs 19.13. The FAQ says it should be included in netpbm package,
|: but IT IS NOT THERE ! I tried 2 distributions :  netpbm-1mar94.tar
|: and netpbm-1mar94.p1.tar. The only gif-handling program there
|: is giftopnm. I tried netscape search, got a lot of addresses which all
|: point to the same 2 distributions. Does somebody know where in the world
|: is giftoppm or maybe it is possible to replace it by giftopnm ?
|: Thank you !
|

|giftopnm is a more general version of the program that would otherwise be
|called giftoppm.  PNM means Portable aNy Map, whereas ppm means portable
|pixmap.  In essence, if your gif file has only black and white, giftopnm
|won't write a P6 or P3 style pnm, it will write the black and white format
|(I forget what this one is called).
|
|In summary, use it without fear.

In any case, 19.14 will have built-in GIF support, so getting this
to work should be much easier.

ben
--
"... then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was
more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -- Anais Nin

1. TRAMP: what am I doing wrong?

Must be something obvious that I'm doing wrong, but I can't work out how to
get the su or sudo transfer methods working in TRAMP.

From reading the info pages it looks like you don't have to do any specific
setup. To edit a file as root you just go:

        /suu:localhost:/etc/fstab

Or /sudm:..
Or /sum:..

However none of these seem to work for me (they all fall through to EFS).
Interestingly, none of these transfer methods appear in the tramp-methods
variable.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

This is XEmacs 21.1.14 on FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE

2. How to check monitor depth?

3. Syntax Highlighting for D code - what am I doing wrong?

4. Oh that Glasgow

5. Apropos syntax- What am I doing wrong?

6. CMS to PVCS

7. Why am I prompted to save abbreviations?

8. IBM P2/2 Model 70/80 - (off topic)

9. Selecting the right smtp server: on which net am I?

10. Where am I typing ?

11. downloaded xemacs 21.1.1 - installed on linux and am facing problems

12. I am not able to Open File

13. what am I missing with hilit customization file not being recognized??