vip-mode under GNU Emacs 19.28: paste doesn't work

vip-mode under GNU Emacs 19.28: paste doesn't work

Post by Kezhao Zha » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello everyone! I just installed the GNU Emacs version 19.28 on an IBM
RS6000 running AIX 3.2. Everything works fine. I'm using vip-mode under
Emacs. But there is a problem with the paste function in vi mode. For
example, after I deleted a line using 'dd', I tried to paste the line
back using 'p' or 'P', emacs complained 'The mark is not active now' and
the paste failed. I have tried vip.el version 3.5 and 4.3, both have the
same problem.

By the way, this problem doesn't occur with version 18.57.

Has anybody experienced the same problem? Is there anyway to solve it?

Thank you for you help!

Kezhao Zhang
Physcics Department
UC, San Diego

vip-mode under GNU Emacs 19.28: paste doesn't work

Post by Hintze_Tel.32 » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

    Kezhao> Hello everyone! I just installed the GNU Emacs version 19.28 on an
    Kezhao> IBM RS6000 running AIX 3.2. Everything works fine. I'm using
    Kezhao> vip-mode under Emacs. But there is a problem with the paste
    Kezhao> function in vi mode. For example, after I deleted a line using
    Kezhao> 'dd', I tried to paste the line back using 'p' or 'P', emacs
    Kezhao> complained 'The mark is not active now' and the paste failed. I
    Kezhao> have tried vip.el version 3.5 and 4.3, both have the same problem.

    Kezhao> By the way, this problem doesn't occur with version 18.57.

    Kezhao> Has anybody experienced the same problem? Is there anyway to solve
    Kezhao> it?

    Kezhao> Thank you for you help!

    Kezhao> Kezhao Zhang Physcics Department UC, San Diego

I suppose you have enabled the `transient-mark-mode'.  This mode let you see
an active region.  But I have found that it also produce some strange effects
during interaction with other features of Emacs.

The `vip-mode' is such a feature.  If you want to use the `vip-mode', you
should disable the `transient-mark-mode' by 'M-x transient-mark-mode' oder
insert '(setq transient-mark-mode nil)' in your .emacs file.

I hope, that will solve your problem.

Zaijian,

    Cle.

Hai shou: Ni weishenme yong `vip-mode' zai Emacs limian?