XEmacs-Cygwin zip file corrupt?

Post by William BC Crandal » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

I've tried to download the file:

    xemacs-21.1.8-i686-pc-cygwin32-1.0.tar.gz

from:

    http://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/binary-kits/cygwin32/

several times. Every time I get a file with 25200640 bytes.
And each time I try to extract the file, WinZip coughs:

    "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive."

Is the file corrupt, or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks,

William BC Crandall

XEmacs-Cygwin zip file corrupt?

Post by Kilian A. Fot » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I've tried to download the file:
>     xemacs-21.1.8-i686-pc-cygwin32-1.0.tar.gz
> from:
>     http://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/binary-kits/cygwin32/
> several times. Every time I get a file with 25200640 bytes.
> And each time I try to extract the file, WinZip coughs:
>     "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive."
> Is the file corrupt, or am I doing something wrong?

First, some terminology:

 expanding = making a big file from a small file
 extracting = making many files from one file

WinZip can expand zip files but I'm not sure whether it can extract
TAR archives -- if not you'll need to use gtar or some equivalent.
Apparently the Xemacs porters feel that anyone who would want to use
XEmacs on a M$ box will surely have cygwin installed already...

--
``It is uncanny how many problems can be solved with duct tape.''

                                                    -- Alice

XEmacs-Cygwin zip file corrupt?

Post by Cory T. Echo » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Apparently the Xemacs porters feel that anyone who would want to use
>XEmacs on a M$ box will surely have cygwin installed already...

    This is not entirely true.  There are separate cygwin and non-cygwin
builds for Xemacs on NT.  The non-cygwin build is a self-installing
executable.  You won't need tar or anything to install it.

    They cygwin build, however probably does require you have cygwin
installed because I believe it uses cygwin's manner of viewing the
filesystem.  (C: is //c for example).

--
Cory T. Echols

XEmacs-Cygwin zip file corrupt?

Post by Jon Schew » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> WinZip can expand zip files but I'm not sure whether it can extract
> TAR archives -- if not you'll need to use gtar or some equivalent.
> Apparently the Xemacs porters feel that anyone who would want to use
> XEmacs on a M$ box will surely have cygwin installed already...

Winzip does fine with tar archives.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe

XEmacs-Cygwin zip file corrupt?

Post by Jon Schew » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>     They cygwin build, however probably does require you have cygwin
> installed because I believe it uses cygwin's manner of viewing the
> filesystem.  (C: is //c for example).

Actually it just links against cygwin.dll and that takes care of it.  BTW it's
/cygdrive/c now to avoid extra NetBIOS traffic.