finding and opening files containing found text with dired

finding and opening files containing found text with dired

Post by James Hick » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

In the win32 text editor, TextPad 4.0, there is the capability of
searching a group of files (e.g., a subdirectory full of text files)
for words or regular expressions. One of the options is to return the
list of files in a new window. When one clicks on any of the returned
filenames, the file itself is opened in the editor. It seemed to me
that with XEmacs and dired, one could do this as well; that is, to do
a search on files, have the files returned as a dired frame or window
and then use the middle mousebutton on any of the files to open it in
the editor. I can't seem to find how to do this -- or if it's even
possible in XEmacs (although that which is "do-able" in any other
editor would seems to _always_ be possible in XEmacs).

Thanks in advance for any help or direction-pointing on this.

jim

Post by Jan Vroonho » Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> filenames, the file itself is opened in the editor. It seemed to me
> that with XEmacs and dired, one could do this as well;

Mark the files to be searched
Use E to search
Use f in the resulting buffer to find the change.

Unfortunately that last part is not possible using the mouse. c.f. the
output from M-x igrep RET where you can use the mouse.

Jan