Full screen emacs

Post by Ken Steven » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:37:39

Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
am using emacs version 21.2.1.

Thank you,
Ken

Full screen emacs

Post by Edgar Antonio Luna Día » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:24:02

> Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
> am using emacs version 21.2.1.

Something like that in .Xdefaults or .Xresources, I don't remember well.
The geometry is for _my_ screen.

emacs.geometry: 167x59
emacs.toolBar: 0
emacs.MenuBar: 0
emacs.verticalScrollBars: false

Hope that help

--
Edgar Antonio Luna Daz - http://www.gnulinux.org.mx
Key Fingerprint=C008 5EAC 5272 AC8C 7589  4821 8B34 6166 8733 8310

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

Full screen emacs

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:48:16

> Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
> am using emacs version 21.2.1.

The CVS has a --fullscreen argument.  So if you have patience...

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop ap!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

Full screen emacs

Post by Glyn Millingto » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:08:26

> Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
> am using emacs version 21.2.1.

I think that depends on your window manager - what are you using?

Glyn

Full screen emacs

Post by Ken Steven » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 04:47:19

I am using KDE.

>> Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
>> am using emacs version 21.2.1.

> I think that depends on your window manager - what are you using?

> Glyn

Full screen emacs

Post by Joachim Pens » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:47:59

> I am using KDE.

>>> Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
>>> am using emacs version 21.2.1.

>> I think that depends on your window manager - what are you using?

I have no KDE at hand now to check, but I remember you can start emacs with
kstart, which supports a maximizing option.

Joachim

Full screen emacs

Post by Ken Steven » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:37:07

Ok, let me be a little more specific. I use emacs for my mail editor
(I use mutt), I sometimes use the console, and sometime I am in
KDE. When I am in KDE I would like emacs to ALWAYS start in
full-screen mode. Of course, when I am in console, it should ignore
such a thing. Is there some lisp routine that will accomplish such a
thing.

Thanks for all the answers thus far. I appreciate it.

Ken

> I have no KDE at hand now to check, but I remember you can start emacs with
> kstart, which supports a maximizing option.

> Joachim

Full screen emacs

Post by Bruce Ingall » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:11:34

> (I use mutt), I sometimes use the console, and sometime I am in
> KDE. When I am in KDE I would like emacs to ALWAYS start in
> full-screen mode.

I do some of this in e-configure in EMacro:
<url: http://emacro.sf.net/ >
Check the window-system variable for "x"
It also has a routine to read the size of the X desktop, but I keep
at 80 col wide.

Other issues: you likely don't want Emacs to extend (below) the kicker
panel, which can also move to the side of your desktop.

Full screen emacs

Post by Tim Cros » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:06:57

> Is there a way to get emacs to open up full screen under X-windows. I
> am using emacs version 21.2.1.

I think this sort of functionality is usually down to the window
manager rather than the application. However, having said that, you
can usually use a geometry setting in your .Xresources file. Check the
emacs and X man pages on how to set the geometry.

Some window managers like sawfish are able to remember the last window
configuration for an application - so you can run emacs, maximise to
full screen and then (using the wm menus/commands) save the state of
the application and next time you run emacs it will be opened to the
same size/position. However, this can cause problems with some emacs
functions - for example, you need to do a little extra tweaking if you
use speedbar, otherwise you end up with a speedbar frame which is the
same size as your normal emacs frame.

Tim