1. Column Numbers (Not Line Numbers)
Has anyone created a minor mode (or some other function) that shows
column numbers while typing keys? If not, can someone tell me if
there is some hook or other easy way to modify the mode line after
every keystroke that moves the point (including all self-insert-command
At times, we enter data with Emacs. Since our stats packages read the
data with a fixed format, column numbers are very important. The
values for item X, say, must always go into the same column on each
line. Typing `C-x =' every few seconds gets old very quick.
I don't really care about what line I'm on; that's a nonissue for us.
This being the case, column numbers should take considerably less
effort than determining the line number. That is, efficiency should
not play as large a role. The length of a file, it seems, depends
more often on the number of lines than number of columns in a
If someone has done this, great. If not I would even appreciate
hints. Lisp programming doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure how to
efficiently attach a command to most every keystroke.
Thanks in advance.
o r e g o n r e s e a r c h i n s t i t u t e ( ) |< |
e u g e n e o r e g o n
2. Users experiences with NT Firewalls
3. Line number works; how about column number?
4. Is it right to use GROUP BY in this situation.
5. Column Number , Line Number
6. IIgs music CD... soon!
7. Display line number in status line
8. 100Mbit Client 32 2.5
9. How can I display line number in the front of each line
10. Line numbers and end of line marker
11. line number before every line
12. Line numbers. Numberd lines in buffer display
13. Line numbers on Mode Line