how to save email message. How to have address book using emacs

how to save email message. How to have address book using emacs

Post by nabb.. » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

hello emacs experts:

2 questions:

How does one save into a file the current open email message when using
emacs email? when doing "save buffer" when reading current email message,
all what I get is all of the messages saved (copy of RMAIL saved). I just
want to save the one message. I tried every trick, but can;t get it to
work.

Second question, using emacs email, how does one go about having an
address book functionality, similar to what one find in GUI based
email clients. any ideas?

thanks in advance for any answers.
Nasser

Post by Mark Ranc » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> hello emacs experts:

> 2 questions:

> How does one save into a file the current open email message when using
> emacs email? when doing "save buffer" when reading current email message,
> all what I get is all of the messages saved (copy of RMAIL saved). I just
> want to save the one message. I tried every trick, but can;t get it to
> work.

with the mail you deem interesting set as current exercise the function
M-x rmail-output-body-to-file <designateFileNameHere>

if running xemacs select CLassify from the menu bar and
select output to file (or hit character "w")

Post by D. Dale Gulled » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> How does one save into a file the current open email message when using
> emacs email? when doing "save buffer" when reading current email message,
> all what I get is all of the messages saved (copy of RMAIL saved). I just
> want to save the one message. I tried every trick, but can;t get it to
> work.

That's easy enough.  I pulled this out of the Emacs manual (C-h i Emacs RET):

Copying Messages Out to Files
=============================

   These commands copy messages from an Rmail file into another file.

`o FILE RET'
     Append a copy of the current message to the file FILE, using Rmail
     file format by default (`rmail-output-to-rmail-file').

`C-o FILE RET'
     Append a copy of the current message to the file FILE, using
     system inbox file format by default (`rmail-output').

Quote:> Second question, using emacs email, how does one go about having an
> address book functionality, similar to what one find in GUI based
> email clients. any ideas?

Using aliases is easy enough.  They are read from your .mailrc file.  However,
I haven't seen any mechanism to easily write them there other than editing the
file.  Has anyone written one?

- Dale

Post by Kai Grossjohan » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

  > Second question, using emacs email, how does one go about having an
  > address book functionality, similar to what one find in GUI based
  > email clients. any ideas?

While using the ~/.mailrc file is a nice and simple and workable
solution, may I also call your attention to BBDB, it is an address
book application for Emacs.  It can watch mail and news you read and
automatically add people to your address book.

http://pw2.netcom.com/~simmonmt/index.html

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes