Default full screen

Post by Jesper Peterse » Wed, 30 May 2001 00:40:04

Hi!

Can someone tell me how to make my Emacs full screen as default? So far I made
an alias in .bashrc using -geometry, but I'd rather do it through my .emacs
file.

Thanks
Jesper

Post by Rapha?l Berba » Wed, 30 May 2001 01:51:16

> Can someone tell me how to make my Emacs full screen as default? So
> far I made an alias in .bashrc using -geometry, but I'd rather do it
> through my .emacs file.

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 139))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 59))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 2))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 2))

--
Rapha?l

Post by Jesper Peterse » Wed, 30 May 2001 04:27:30

Quote:>(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 139))
>(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 59))
>(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 2))
>(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 2))

It wont work, I just get an ordinary small window.

Any other suggestions?

Jesper

Post by Alex Schroede » Wed, 30 May 2001 05:08:05

> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 139))
> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 59))
> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 2))
> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 2))

> It wont work, I just get an ordinary small window.

> Any other suggestions?

Can't you use your Window Manager to do this, eg. "Remember Geometry"
or something like that?  Or else create an alias for Emacs that starts
it using --geometry=139x59+2+2 (from the values suggested above).
From the info node "Options for Window Geometry" in the Emacs manual:

   The `-geometry' option controls the size and position of the initial
Emacs frame.  Here is the format for specifying the window geometry:

`-g WIDTHxHEIGHT{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET'
     Specify window size WIDTH and HEIGHT (measured in character
     columns and lines), and positions XOFFSET and YOFFSET (measured in
     pixels).

`--geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET'
     This is another way of writing the same thing.

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/emacs.html
http://www.emacswiki.org/

Post by Rapha?l Berba » Wed, 30 May 2001 05:14:10

> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 139))
> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 59))
> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 2))
> >(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 2))

> It wont work, I just get an ordinary small window.

> Any other suggestions?

- Check that your ~/.emacs doesn't contain any error.  After you
  launch Emacs, what does C-h v default-frame-alist RET says ?

- What happens when you starts emacs with emacs -q, then eval these 4
  lines in the *scratch* buffer, and open a new frame with C-x 5 2 ?

- Or, you can set Emacs geometry as X resources.

--
Rapha?l

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Wed, 30 May 2001 18:34:34

> - Check that your ~/.emacs doesn't contain any error.  After you
>   launch Emacs, what does C-h v default-frame-alist RET says ?

If that produces the right value for default-frame-alist, then you
might consider adding some more lines for initial-frame-alist (the
same lines).

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

Post by Stefan Monnie » Wed, 30 May 2001 19:30:51

>> - Check that your ~/.emacs doesn't contain any error.  After you
>> launch Emacs, what does C-h v default-frame-alist RET says ?
> If that produces the right value for default-frame-alist, then you might
> consider adding some more lines for initial-frame-alist (the same lines).

Is that necessary ?  At least on my Emacs, anything that's in
default-frame-alist is automatically used for the initial frame as well,
so I never need to change initial-frame-alist explicitly unless I
want the initial frame to look different from all others.

        Stefan

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Wed, 30 May 2001 22:09:56

Quote:> Is that necessary ?

I think it is not necessary, I was just suggesting that he try.  Maybe
some years ago it was necessary.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

Post by Stephen L. Ulme » Wed, 30 May 2001 23:29:33

  Stefan> Is that necessary ?  At least on my Emacs, anything that's
  Stefan> in default-frame-alist is automatically used for the initial
  Stefan> frame as well, so I never need to change initial-frame-alist
  Stefan> explicitly unless I want the initial frame to look different
  Stefan> from all others.

My window manager (or gnome, I think) sends hints to my XEmacs when I
start it, so my initial frame is the same size as one that I used a
long time ago (I'm not sure when this got set).

At any rate, even with default-frame-alist set, my Emacs is the wrong
size until I visit a file or something.  I'm going to see if
initial-frame-alist makes a difference.

Also, the docs say:

,----
| `default-frame-alist' is an alias for `default-frame-plist',a simple
|    built-in variable.
|
| Value: (width 80 height 55)
|
| Documentation:
| Obsolete; use `default-frame-plist' instead.
`----

So should we be using -plist instead of -alist?

--

Senior Systems Programmer                         http://www.ulmer.org/
Northeast Regional Data Center                      VOX: (352) 392-2061

Post by Stefan Monnie » Thu, 31 May 2001 00:57:24

> Also, the docs say:
> ,----
> | `default-frame-alist' is an alias for `default-frame-plist',a simple
> |    built-in variable.
> |
> | Value: (width 80 height 55)
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Obsolete; use `default-frame-plist' instead.
> `----
> So should we be using -plist instead of -alist?

Ask the XEmacs guys.  I still have no clue why they decided to
create those *-plist variables and to even make them the preferred way.
Worse yet, the two variables are aliased, so now *-alist can contain
something of a different shape than what it used to contain.

This is really very strange to me and I'm thoroughly puzzled.

It's a lot of pain and potential breakage for little (if any) gain.
At least, I can't think of any advantage of plists over alists except
that '(a 1 b 2) is a bit shorter than '((a . 1) (b . 2)).

It's not the first time I ask why this change was made, but since I still
haven't gotten any answer...

        Stefan

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Thu, 31 May 2001 00:55:53

Quote:> So should we be using -plist instead of -alist?

On XEmacs, you should use -plist.  But Stefan uses Emacs, so he didn't
think about that.

kai (also uses Emacs)
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 10:10:46

Quote:>My window manager (or gnome, I think) sends hints to my XEmacs when I
>start it, so my initial frame is the same size as one that I used a
>long time ago (I'm not sure when this got set).

you probably want to either unify the x resource setting with what you
have in your .emacs, or eliminate it entirely.  check ~/.Xresources or
~/.Xdefaults or whatever file is used to store x resource definitions
on your system.

--
okay, have a sig then

Post by Hrvoje Niksi » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:29:29

Quote:> Ask the XEmacs guys.  I still have no clue why they decided to
> create those *-plist variables and to even make them the preferred
> way.

It was probably considered that plists were more "modern" or something
like that.  The documentation also mentions that it is more usual to
modify plists in-place, whether it is normally not done with alists.
I don't know if that's actually the case.  Then there is the symmetry
with symbol and extent properties which are stored in plists.

The point is, the interface was changing anyway, so the developers at
the time probably considered it worthy to make the change.

Quote:> Worse yet, the two variables are aliased, so now *-alist can contain
> something of a different shape than what it used to contain.

XEmacs internals can recognize both types of usage.  If you're
consistent in setting default-frame-alist or default-frame-plist,
either should work.

Quote:> It's not the first time I ask why this change was made, but since I
> still haven't gotten any answer...

That's the best I can give.  As I said, I wasn't around in 19.12 times
when these changes were made.

Post by Stefan Monnie » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 05:08:57

>> Ask the XEmacs guys.  I still have no clue why they decided to
>> create those *-plist variables and to even make them the preferred way.
> It was probably considered that plists were more "modern" or something
> like that.  The documentation also mentions that it is more usual to
> modify plists in-place, whether it is normally not done with alists.

I guess that's a fair point.

Quote:> I don't know if that's actually the case.  Then there is the symmetry
> with symbol and extent properties which are stored in plists.

I would have preferred to switch to alist for them ;-)

Quote:>> Worse yet, the two variables are aliased, so now *-alist can contain
>> something of a different shape than what it used to contain.
> XEmacs internals can recognize both types of usage.  If you're
> consistent in setting default-frame-alist or default-frame-plist,
> either should work.

The problems show up when a package tries to fiddle with
default-frame-alist, expecting an alist and finding unexpected elements.

Quote:> That's the best I can give.  As I said, I wasn't around in 19.12 times
> when these changes were made.

I hadn't realized it was such an old change.
I guess the problems I mention just above aren't very significant, then.

        Stefan

Post by Kyle Jon » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:10:32

 > > Also, the docs say:
 > > ,----
 > > | `default-frame-alist' is an alias for `default-frame-plist',a simple
 > > |    built-in variable.
 > > |
 > > | Value: (width 80 height 55)
 > > |
 > > | Documentation:
 > > | Obsolete; use `default-frame-plist' instead.
 > > `----
 > > So should we be using -plist instead of -alist?
 >
 > Ask the XEmacs guys.  I still have no clue why they decided to
 > create those *-plist variables and to even make them the preferred way.
 > Worse yet, the two variables are aliased, so now *-alist can contain
 > something of a different shape than what it used to contain.
 >
 > This is really very strange to me and I'm thoroughly puzzled.
 >
 > It's a lot of pain and potential breakage for little (if any) gain.
 > At least, I can't think of any advantage of plists over alists except
 > that '(a 1 b 2) is a bit shorter than '((a . 1) (b . 2)).
 >
 > It's not the first time I ask why this change was made, but since I still
 > haven't gotten any answer...

I asked years ago and there wasn't any good reason.  One of the
developers liked plists more than alists.  This change happened
way back in 19.12 or 19.13 I think.

1. Default full screen

Ask the XEmacs guys.  I still have no clue why they decided to
create those *-plist variables and to even make them the preferred way.
Worse yet, the two variables are aliased, so now *-alist can contain
something of a different shape than what it used to contain.

This is really very strange to me and I'm thoroughly puzzled.

It's a lot of pain and potential breakage for little (if any) gain.
At least, I can't think of any advantage of plists over alists except
that '(a 1 b 2) is a bit shorter than '((a . 1) (b . 2)).

It's not the first time I ask why this change was made, but since I still
haven't gotten any answer...

        Stefan

2. Help me stop the auto starting programs!

3. full screen with xemacs

4. Outlook Express disconnects

5. Running full screen program like vi from xemacs shell window

6. Where can I get it??

7. full screen Xemacs

8. Soccer Games for the ST

9. Full Screen Emacs

10. Full screen emacs

11. why doesn't Emacs cover the full screen?

12. SOURCES FOR UNIX FULL SCREEN EDITORS