(setenv "LANGUAGE" "da_DK") + dired -> "No file on line"

(setenv "LANGUAGE" "da_DK") + dired -> "No file on line"

Post by Niels Langager Ellegaar » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:37:07

I am using xemacs version 20.4; fra Feb 1998 (debian potato) , and I
had a problem. When I used auc-tex my viewer wrote

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "c",
        LC_ALL = "c",
        LANG = "c"

It seems that outside xemacs I had the right language settings
(da_DK), but inside xemacs something was wrong. Therefore I added the
following lines to my .emacs

(setenv "LANG" "da_DK")
(setenv "LANGUAGE" "da_DK")
(setenv "LC_ALL" "da_DK")

Sadly that gave me a new problem. When I used dired and tried to open
a file, xemacs wrote : "No file on line". I found a faq on the web

http://www.lerner.co.il/emacs/faq_6.html#SEC89

It says:

 Dired uses a regular expression to find the beginning of a file
 name. In a long Unix-style directory listing ("ls -l"), the file name
 starts after the date. The regexp has thus been written to look for
 the date, the format of which can vary on non-US systems.

 There are two approaches to solving this. The first one involves
 setting things up so that "ls -l" outputs US date format. This can be
 done by setting the locale. See your OS manual for more information.

 The second approach involves changing the regular expression used by
 dired, dired-move-to-filename-regexp.

Now I am somewhat baffled. I don't know how to do any of the two. If
someone has a quick solution please help me. (I use bash)

        Thanks in advance
        Niels

PS: I realise upgrading would probably be a quick solution, but I am
not the sysadm, and I don't have the skill to install a new xemacs
myself.

--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/
SPECIAL OFFER! I proofread unsolicited commercial email sent to this

(setenv "LANGUAGE" "da_DK") + dired -> "No file on line"

Post by Kilian A. Fot » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:29:02

Quote:> I am using xemacs version 20.4; fra Feb 1998 (debian potato) , and I
> had a problem. When I used auc-tex my viewer wrote
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>    LANGUAGE = "c",
>    LC_ALL = "c",
>    LANG = "c"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> It seems that outside xemacs I had the right language settings
> (da_DK), but inside xemacs something was wrong. Therefore I added the
> following lines to my .emacs
> (setenv "LANG" "da_DK")
> (setenv "LANGUAGE" "da_DK")
> (setenv "LC_ALL" "da_DK")
> Sadly that gave me a new problem. When I used dired and tried to open
> a file, xemacs wrote : "No file on line". I found a faq on the web
> http://www.lerner.co.il/emacs/faq_6.html#SEC89
> It says:
>  Dired uses a regular expression to find the beginning of a file
>  name. In a long Unix-style directory listing ("ls -l"), the file name
>  starts after the date. The regexp has thus been written to look for
>  the date, the format of which can vary on non-US systems.
>  There are two approaches to solving this. The first one involves
>  setting things up so that "ls -l" outputs US date format. This can be
>  done by setting the locale. See your OS manual for more information.
>  The second approach involves changing the regular expression used by
>  dired, dired-move-to-filename-regexp.
> Now I am somewhat baffled. I don't know how to do any of the two. If
> someone has a quick solution please help me. (I use bash)
>         Thanks in advance
>         Niels

As far as I know upgrading does NOT fix this. Here's what I do against
this exact problem:

(setq dired-re-month-and-time
 (concat
  " \\(Jan\\|Feb\\|M.r\\|Apr\\|Ma.\\|June?\\|July?\\|Aug\\|Sep\\|O.t\\|Nov\\|"
  "De.\\) [ 0-3][0-9]\\("        ; June and July are for HP-UX 9.0
  " [012][0-9]:[0-6][0-9] \\|"   ; time
  "  [12][90][0-9][0-9] \\|"     ; year on IRIX, NeXT, SunOS, ULTRIX, Apollo,
  ; HP-UX, A/UX
  " [12][90][0-9][0-9]  \\)"     ; year on AIX
  ))

Note that

  - I have dired version 7.9, so you may have to hack
    dired-move-to-filename-regexp instead of dired-re-month-and-time
    as I do (not sure)

  - I use German month names, not Danish, so I say "M.r" to detect
    both "Mar" and "M?r". Your patterns will probably have to be
    different -- I don't know Danish all that well.

--
``The answer to `can emacs...?' is always yes.''
                                                    David Carlisle

1. "file mode spec error"+"emacs" & "emacs-20.6"

Hello good people..

Firstly:
I have a problem with GNU-Emacs whenever i open an .html-file in a
newly started emacs-session (i.e. one in which i haven't yet invoked
sgml-mode (or psgml) then it claims that there is an error;
"file mode specification error:(error "key sequence C-c C-c - uses
invalid prefix characters")
 I also get a similar error (C-c C-f C-e ditto) when loading an
xml-file.. At least when i'm in html-mode in another buffer.)
I guess this is due to some conflict in my .emacs.el.
Occasionally my html-mode works just fine. Likewise the xml-mode.
I may have to load files twice..

Secondly:
There is another thing i have wondered about;
i have two different emacsen in x;
the one is invoked by the command "emacs" and the other by "emacs-20.6"
(previous versions were also similar in behavior)
The font faces and menu bars are different. I have separate workspaces
for them configured in wmaker, and find this practical, but would it
be possible to have these two "share" the memory (in a more economical
manner) and still behave like they do? (you probably see what i mean;
having the different faces and workspaces..etc..;)
This may be impossible and forgive me for asking such a silly question
if i do..

Can anyone give me advice?
But; first things first; my _problem_ is the above first issue..
The second is merely an issue of luxury..

Regards, inge.

--
     = =

 ||_
 |  telmin     |

 |  telia     /
 |   .no     /
  \_________/

2. HP 1150 Printer/Copier

3. File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "executable")

4. Searching for variable fonts

5. how 2 turn dial-in sound off?

6. ELISP for "bottom-line-of-file" ("-of buffer")

7. JetTec Bad Experience

8. problems with "point", "mark" and "region"

9. Q: How to highlight the "++", "--", "==" ... for C or C++

10. I get (file-error "Cannot open load file" "php_mode") ...

11. Replace "// <text>" with "/* <text> */"

12. Dead keys and SPC("+SPC+" inserts SPC+"+")