Gnu emacs, HP-UX 11, remote Linux with non-US keyboard: AltGr doesn't work

Gnu emacs, HP-UX 11, remote Linux with non-US keyboard: AltGr doesn't work

Post by t.. » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:48:55

How does Gnu emacs need to be built on HP-UX to make AltGr key work
on a remote Linux with Finnish (German, French, whatever) keyboard?

Various FAQs suggest an xmodmap hack that makes it work on an HP
workstation, but they don't help any in this situation.

Running emacs on the Linux box, or another remote Linux box,
or a remote Solaris box, or running Xemacs on the HP box,
all work just fine, with AltGr and dead accents working
with no xmodmap trickery.

With Gnu emacs 20.7 AltGr doesn't work at all.
It compiles without any hickups with default settings
(exept --prefix), 8-bit characters work, dead accent
keys beep (so they work well enough to be fixable)
but AltGr does nothing whatsoever - checking with
view-lossage it appears as if emacs didn't see it at all.

The box I'm trying to build it is an HP9000/L1000 server
running HP-UX 11i. (Building Xemacs 21.4.3 in the same box
succeeded without a hitch, and AltGr and dead accents work
there with no tricks whatsoever.)

I've tried a couple of other machines running HP-UX 11.0,
same result. On the other hand, if I build it under HP-UX 10.20
the result is that AltGr *does* work, but dead accents do not
(no sign of them in view-lossage).

I have tried both HP ANSI C as well as gcc 2.95, no change.

What am I doing wrong?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Tapani Tarvainen

Post by Eli Zaretski » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:22:51

> How does Gnu emacs need to be built on HP-UX to make AltGr key work
> on a remote Linux with Finnish (German, French, whatever) keyboard?

It's not a build question, AFAIK.

By ``remote Linux'' what exactly do you mean?  Are you running Emacs via a
telnet client, or open an X display on a remote machine?

Post by t.. » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:03:08

> > How does Gnu emacs need to be built on HP-UX to make AltGr key work
> > on a remote Linux with Finnish (German, French, whatever) keyboard?

> It's not a build question, AFAIK.

> By ``remote Linux'' what exactly do you mean?  Are you running Emacs via a
> telnet client, or open an X display on a remote machine?

The latter (usually with ssh but also tried without).
And yes, it is a build issue - Henning Christiansen from Denmark
emailed me the solution:

"make sure that X_I18N_INHIBITED was always defined in
src/xfns.c (around line 45)"

So, I added this to xfns.c:

#ifdef HPUX
#define X_I18N_INHIBITED
#endif

recompiled and bingo! AltGr works just as it should.

Thank you everybody and Henning in particular,

--
Tapani Tarvainen

Post by t.. » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:12:31

> So, I added this to xfns.c:

> #ifdef HPUX
> #define X_I18N_INHIBITED
> #endif

Just an afterthought: I checked that X_I18N_INHIBITED occurs
no other file in the sources, so it is easier to leave the
source alone and do

CFLAGS=-DX_I18N_INHIBITED ./configure ...

Works just as well.

--
Tapani Tarvainen

1. HP-UX 11 binary distribution startup problem

Hi there,
I tried to install a binary distribution of xemacs-21.1.14 for HP-UX
(xemacs-21.1.14-sd-11.00.depot). The installation succeeded without
any error and xemacs was installed in /opt/xemacs.
When I try to invoke /opt/xemacs/bin/xemacs I get an error message:
"Couldn't find obvious default for the root of the XEmacs hierarchy"
and some more error lines and XEmacs won't run!.
In the documentation of that distribution I did not find any hint what
else has to be configured to make it run.
Thank for any advice
Christoph

  christoph.fleischmann.extern.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Wanted. New keyboard for Z88

3. Segmentation fault on HP-UX 11 if I reread a file (v 21.4.3)

4. Help!!!! Hardware Problem!!! Alignment Sotware Needed!! TIA

5. XEmacs vs. HP/UX 10.10: create_process doesn't work

6. 1600 series power adapter

7. version of xemacs that works for HP-UX 11.0?

8. Homepage Builder dead, on to Publisher

9. xemacs-19.11 (Sun,SunOS4.1.3) on my NCD Xterminal doesn't work..

10. prob in installing emacs 19.32 in hp-ux 11.00

11. XEmacs and HP/UX 11

12. non-ASCII characters on HP-UX

13. GNU Emacs newsreader: GNUS 3.13 (11/11)