sorry: dired in xemacs on nt sucks

Post by Leo » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:39:23

hi

a couple of weeks ago i switched from emacs to xemacs and was delighted by
the nice look and feel and the good recent-files implementation.

everything else was a disaster:
- elisp jumping is more cumbersome (might be easy fixable -- thanks to
stephen turnbull!),
- html-mode parses to much (might be only an switch or so)
but most important:
- dired just does not really work:

at first i discovered: that directory copying does not work. then i tried
for two days to get the recursive switch to work fiddling around with
dired-listing-switches, dired-ls-program, etc

i got there good help through this newsgroup c.e.x (thanks to all!), but
still most things in dired do not work.

that's why i give up and switch back to GNU emacs. sorry.

leo

Post by Norbert Koc » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:00:27

> - dired just does not really work:

> at first i discovered: that directory copying does not work. then i tried
> for two days to get the recursive switch to work fiddling around with
> dired-listing-switches, dired-ls-program, etc

> i got there good help through this newsgroup c.e.x (thanks to all!), but
> still most things in dired do not work.

> that's why i give up and switch back to GNU emacs. sorry.

Sorry to hear that.  Still, could you formulate a bug report and send
it to the dired maintainer?  M-x dired-report-bug RET.

This gives the dired maintainer a chance to gain knowledge about the problems
you have.

Thanks,
norbert.

sorry: dired in xemacs on nt sucks

Post by Leo » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:49:30

done for the copying issue. will do for the switches problem.

cheers, leo

> > - dired just does not really work:

> > at first i discovered: that directory copying does not work. then i
tried
> > for two days to get the recursive switch to work fiddling around with
> > dired-listing-switches, dired-ls-program, etc

> > i got there good help through this newsgroup c.e.x (thanks to all!), but
> > still most things in dired do not work.

> > that's why i give up and switch back to GNU emacs. sorry.

> Sorry to hear that.  Still, could you formulate a bug report and send
> it to the dired maintainer?  M-x dired-report-bug RET.

> This gives the dired maintainer a chance to gain knowledge about the
problems
> you have.

> Thanks,
> norbert.

1. Emacs-21.0.105.1 sucks on NT.

Just downloaded and tried 21.0.105.
I have several complaints about it ( I will eventually submit
a bug report, but there may be a delay so I will send this here for
now ).

First. In the previous versions there was a small blank area between
the border and the first characters, it was annoyinng but not serious.
That blank area is now gray and very annoying. The status bar now
looks like a strip of paper pulled across the screen. The scroll bars
don't work. When I move to the top of a ~60 line file, the scrollbar
covers 90% of the area, when I get to the bottom the scrollbar covers
5% of the area. Worse the menus just don't work. Click on any entry
and they all vanish except for File.

2. PGP on a Remote UNIX Shell Account

3. dtx and ins in xemacs

4. Form Screenshot

5. No dired for NT XEmacs?

6. Project 2000 Database in SQL updating from my app issue

7. XEmacs 19.10 question (Sorry not an XEmacs 19.12 question)...

8. | DCG v2 | DCL Code Generator for AutoCAD

9. Adding C-code plug-ins to Emacs?

10. EMACS/AUCTEX and dtx/ins file types

11. Adding C-code plug-ins to Emacs?

12. I have a problem with xemacs -nw (sorry, i dont post nothing the last time)

13. Where are find-dired.el and dired-trns.el in xemacs 20.4