copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by TIM M MACDONAL » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    Using exceed to open an xterm session, I invoke  xemacs:

    (XEmacs 21.1 (patch 8) "Bryce Canyon" [Lucid] (sparc-sun-solaris2.6)  )

    However, when I copy text from an open xemacs buffer, it does not go
into the NT clipboard. Other x apps work just fine.

    Any ideas why xemacs disallows copying text into a Windows clipboard?

-timm

Post by Adrian Aichne » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

    TIM> Hi,

    TIM>     Using exceed to open an xterm session, I invoke xemacs:

    TIM>     (XEmacs 21.1 (patch 8) "Bryce Canyon" [Lucid]
    TIM>     (sparc-sun-solaris2.6) )

    TIM>     However, when I copy text from an open xemacs buffer, it
    TIM>     does not go TIM> into the NT clipboard. Other x apps work
    TIM>     just fine.

Hello Tim!

C-insert (Copy)
S-insert (Paste)
do copy/paste to/from the clipboard.
I use these.

XEmacs also has Copy, Cut, and Paste icons in the toolbar.
These use the clipboard as well.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

    TIM>     Any ideas why xemacs disallows copying text into a
    TIM>     Windows clipboard?

    TIM> -timm

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by TIM M MACDONAL » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Adrian,

    Thanks for responding, but it didn't work ;(
    I wonder if there is an emacs variable set which is disallowing copying
into the
    clipboard?

-timm

>     TIM> Hi,

>     TIM>     Using exceed to open an xterm session, I invoke xemacs:

>     TIM>     (XEmacs 21.1 (patch 8) "Bryce Canyon" [Lucid]
>     TIM>     (sparc-sun-solaris2.6) )

>     TIM>     However, when I copy text from an open xemacs buffer, it
>     TIM>     does not go TIM> into the NT clipboard. Other x apps work
>     TIM>     just fine.

> Hello Tim!

> C-insert (Copy)
> S-insert (Paste)
> do copy/paste to/from the clipboard.
> I use these.

> XEmacs also has Copy, Cut, and Paste icons in the toolbar.
> These use the clipboard as well.

> Hope this helps,

> Adrian

>     TIM>     Any ideas why xemacs disallows copying text into a
>     TIM>     Windows clipboard?

>     TIM> -timm

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by David War » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Adrian,

>    Thanks for responding, but it didn't work ;(
>    I wonder if there is an emacs variable set which is disallowing copying
>into the
>    clipboard?

>-timm

I think you question relates to how to copy text from your XServer
(Exceed) to the NT clipboard. It's not really an Emacs issue.

Perhaps someone here knows; in the meantime I'll try it on my Exceed
box tomorrow morning ...

Dave

To reply: change see.below to davidw

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by David Rogof » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

This is tricky: you've got xemacs's cut buffer, the x-selection,
and Window's clipboard.

First, let me check that you're doing what I think you're doing:

Running on a PC/Windows running Exceed.
Using Exceed to display xemacs running on Unix.
Selecting text in xemacs and wanting to paste it into a Windows
app.

1) Go to Exceed -> Tools -> Configuration -> X Selection
2) Change X Selection Associated With Edit Operations: to
CUT_BUFFER0.
3) Select Auto Copy X Selection
4) Hit OK

It should now work (does on my system - Exceed 6.1, Win98SE,
Xemacs 20.4 on Solaris 7.

If you don't always want to overwrite the clipboard don't select
"Auto Copy X Selection".  Then you would click on the Exceed menu
of your xemacs window (very upper-left corner) and choose Edit ->
Copy X Selection -> To Clipboard.

  David

>Adrian,

>    Thanks for responding, but it didn't work ;(
>    I wonder if there is an emacs variable set which is disallowing copying
>into the
>    clipboard?

>-timm

>>     TIM> Hi,

>>     TIM>     Using exceed to open an xterm session, I invoke xemacs:

>>     TIM>     (XEmacs 21.1 (patch 8) "Bryce Canyon" [Lucid]
>>     TIM>     (sparc-sun-solaris2.6) )

>>     TIM>     However, when I copy text from an open xemacs buffer, it
>>     TIM>     does not go TIM> into the NT clipboard. Other x apps work
>>     TIM>     just fine.

>> Hello Tim!

>> C-insert (Copy)
>> S-insert (Paste)
>> do copy/paste to/from the clipboard.
>> I use these.

>> XEmacs also has Copy, Cut, and Paste icons in the toolbar.
>> These use the clipboard as well.

>> Hope this helps,

>> Adrian

>>     TIM>     Any ideas why xemacs disallows copying text into a
>>     TIM>     Windows clipboard?

>>     TIM> -timm

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by Tim MacDonal » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

David,

    Thank you for your response .... "cut" works, but "copy" does not ;(

    Exceed has a "cut buffer", but what about a copy buffer?

    I selected the "auto    copy x selection" and "auto past x selection"
buttons, and this
    does not cause the selected text from an xemacs window to get copied
into the clipboard.

    BTW, I am using solaris 2.6, and Exceed 6.2

-timm

> This is tricky: you've got xemacs's cut buffer, the x-selection,
> and Window's clipboard.

> First, let me check that you're doing what I think you're doing:

> Running on a PC/Windows running Exceed.
> Using Exceed to display xemacs running on Unix.
> Selecting text in xemacs and wanting to paste it into a Windows
> app.

> 1) Go to Exceed -> Tools -> Configuration -> X Selection
> 2) Change X Selection Associated With Edit Operations: to
> CUT_BUFFER0.
> 3) Select Auto Copy X Selection
> 4) Hit OK

> It should now work (does on my system - Exceed 6.1, Win98SE,
> Xemacs 20.4 on Solaris 7.

> If you don't always want to overwrite the clipboard don't select
> "Auto Copy X Selection".  Then you would click on the Exceed menu
> of your xemacs window (very upper-left corner) and choose Edit ->
> Copy X Selection -> To Clipboard.

>   David

> >Adrian,

> >    Thanks for responding, but it didn't work ;(
> >    I wonder if there is an emacs variable set which is disallowing
copying
> >into the
> >    clipboard?

> >-timm

> >>     TIM> Hi,

> >>     TIM>     Using exceed to open an xterm session, I invoke xemacs:

> >>     TIM>     (XEmacs 21.1 (patch 8) "Bryce Canyon" [Lucid]
> >>     TIM>     (sparc-sun-solaris2.6) )

> >>     TIM>     However, when I copy text from an open xemacs buffer, it
> >>     TIM>     does not go TIM> into the NT clipboard. Other x apps work
> >>     TIM>     just fine.

> >> Hello Tim!

> >> C-insert (Copy)
> >> S-insert (Paste)
> >> do copy/paste to/from the clipboard.
> >> I use these.

> >> XEmacs also has Copy, Cut, and Paste icons in the toolbar.
> >> These use the clipboard as well.

> >> Hope this helps,

> >> Adrian

> >>     TIM>     Any ideas why xemacs disallows copying text into a
> >>     TIM>     Windows clipboard?

> >>     TIM> -timm

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by billin » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have been doing cut and paste between UNIX and Windows NT for a long time.
On the UNIX side, I use both Sun and HP systems.

The Exceed Help system says the following:

X Selection Associated with Edit Operations -- lets you identify the correct X
selection type. Most X applications use the PRIMARY X selection. With X clients
that support SECONDARY or CLIPBOARD, you can change the X selection. For old X
clients that do not support the X selection mechanism you can choose any of the
cut buffers: CUT_BUFFER0 through CUT_BUFFER7. If a client supports a different
selection than those listed, type the name of the custom X selection in the
edit box.

I suggest that you try three choices, PRIMARY, SECONDARY, and CLIPBOARD, for
'X Selection Associated with Edit.

I am using  Windows NT 4.0 service pack 3, Exceed 6.1,  SunOC 5.6 and HP-UX
11.00

> David,

>     Thank you for your response .... "cut" works, but "copy" does not ;(

>     Exceed has a "cut buffer", but what about a copy buffer?

>     I selected the "auto    copy x selection" and "auto past x selection"
> buttons, and this
>     does not cause the selected text from an xemacs window to get copied
> into the clipboard.

>     BTW, I am using solaris 2.6, and Exceed 6.2

> -timm

> > This is tricky: you've got xemacs's cut buffer, the x-selection,
> > and Window's clipboard.

> > First, let me check that you're doing what I think you're doing:

> > Running on a PC/Windows running Exceed.
> > Using Exceed to display xemacs running on Unix.
> > Selecting text in xemacs and wanting to paste it into a Windows
> > app.

> > 1) Go to Exceed -> Tools -> Configuration -> X Selection
> > 2) Change X Selection Associated With Edit Operations: to
> > CUT_BUFFER0.
> > 3) Select Auto Copy X Selection
> > 4) Hit OK

> > It should now work (does on my system - Exceed 6.1, Win98SE,
> > Xemacs 20.4 on Solaris 7.

> > If you don't always want to overwrite the clipboard don't select
> > "Auto Copy X Selection".  Then you would click on the Exceed menu
> > of your xemacs window (very upper-left corner) and choose Edit ->
> > Copy X Selection -> To Clipboard.

> >   David

> > >Adrian,

> > >    Thanks for responding, but it didn't work ;(
> > >    I wonder if there is an emacs variable set which is disallowing
> copying
> > >into the
> > >    clipboard?

> > >-timm

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by Tim MacDonal » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

The problem is Exceed 6.2.

I downgraded from 6.2 to 6.1, and I was able to copy and paste to/from
xemacs and windows apps.
-itmm

>I have been doing cut and paste between UNIX and Windows NT for a long
time.
>On the UNIX side, I use both Sun and HP systems.

>The Exceed Help system says the following:

>X Selection Associated with Edit Operations -- lets you identify the
correct X
>selection type. Most X applications use the PRIMARY X selection. With X
clients
>that support SECONDARY or CLIPBOARD, you can change the X selection. For
old X
>clients that do not support the X selection mechanism you can choose any of
the
>cut buffers: CUT_BUFFER0 through CUT_BUFFER7. If a client supports a
different
>selection than those listed, type the name of the custom X selection in the
>edit box.

>I suggest that you try three choices, PRIMARY, SECONDARY, and CLIPBOARD,
for
>'X Selection Associated with Edit.

>I am using  Windows NT 4.0 service pack 3, Exceed 6.1,  SunOC 5.6 and HP-UX
>11.00

>> David,

>>     Thank you for your response .... "cut" works, but "copy" does not ;(

>>     Exceed has a "cut buffer", but what about a copy buffer?

>>     I selected the "auto    copy x selection" and "auto past x selection"
>> buttons, and this
>>     does not cause the selected text from an xemacs window to get copied
>> into the clipboard.

>>     BTW, I am using solaris 2.6, and Exceed 6.2

>> -timm

>> > This is tricky: you've got xemacs's cut buffer, the x-selection,
>> > and Window's clipboard.

>> > First, let me check that you're doing what I think you're doing:

>> > Running on a PC/Windows running Exceed.
>> > Using Exceed to display xemacs running on Unix.
>> > Selecting text in xemacs and wanting to paste it into a Windows
>> > app.

>> > 1) Go to Exceed -> Tools -> Configuration -> X Selection
>> > 2) Change X Selection Associated With Edit Operations: to
>> > CUT_BUFFER0.
>> > 3) Select Auto Copy X Selection
>> > 4) Hit OK

>> > It should now work (does on my system - Exceed 6.1, Win98SE,
>> > Xemacs 20.4 on Solaris 7.

>> > If you don't always want to overwrite the clipboard don't select
>> > "Auto Copy X Selection".  Then you would click on the Exceed menu
>> > of your xemacs window (very upper-left corner) and choose Edit ->
>> > Copy X Selection -> To Clipboard.

>> >   David

>> copying

copy and paste from xemacs to an NT windows app doesn't work via Exceed

Post by billin » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'd like to amend my earlier message.

It's not as simple as it seems.   I work with a network of about eight UNIX
systems.  Yesterday, I discovered that with some opf these systems I can cut and
paste reliably.  But with two it fails about half the time.

In most cases, if it works at login time, it will continue to work.  But there
are exceptions.  In one case the cut and paste failed after I started a session
with another UNIX system.   (I can run multiple UNIX sessions simultaneously.)

This sounds like a timing bug somewhere.  (But where?)  I'm not ready to point
the finger at Exceed.  Exceed 6.2 could be the victim of a bug in UNIX,
possibly, or even Windows.