Eshell-buffer-shorthand and Eshell completions

Eshell-buffer-shorthand and Eshell completions

Post by Guillaume Marce » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:22:23

First, a bug: when I turn eshell-buffer-shorthand to true, my commands
stop producing any output at all, either when redirected or not.

I am using eshell 2.4.2 (which is budled with emacs 21.3.1). I tested
with 'emacs --no-init-file', so my .emacs is not in question.

Also, eshell will not complete to a file which is already on the
command line. Is there any way to turn this off?

     ps2pdf presentation.ps pre<tab>

When I hit tab, I want "pre" to complete to "presentation.ps". I will
change the extension ".ps" to ".pdf" myself. I just don't want to
retype "presentation" all over. For now, eshell refuses to complete
because "presentation.ps" is already on the command line -- even if
there is, in fact, a "presentation.ps" file in the current directory.

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:33:59

> Also, eshell will not complete to a file which is already on the
> command line. Is there any way to turn this off?

See variable pcomplete-use-paring.
--
~/.signature

Eshell-buffer-shorthand and Eshell completions

Post by Guillaume Marce » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:23:24

Quote:> > Also, eshell will not complete to a file which is already on the
> > command line. Is there any way to turn this off?

> See variable pcomplete-use-paring.

Thanks. From pcomplete-use-paring I was able to find eshell-cmpl-use-paring,
which controls the usage of paring in eshell.

1. eshell: eshell-command-result and environment

Hi,

It would be useful if 'eshell-command-result' inherited the set of
environment variables from the invoking shell, since this would make
it more convenient to write eshell functions.

Consider the following example: a function that invokes snmpget on a
remote machine, whose hostname is passed as an argument. The snmpget
command uses an environment variable MIBS; even if this is set (using
"export MIBS=/path/to/the/mib") in the eshell session, it isn't
propagated to the snmp-uptime command.

Is there is a better way to run external commands?  The following
example is simplified; I really want to do a regexp search on the
results of snmpget.

(defun eshell/snmp-uptime (&rest args)
  (eshell-command-result
   (format "snmpget %s public cpuUpTime.0" (first args))))

[I know about the -m option to snmpget]

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

2. Latest update on netmeeting/Hauppage situation

3. eshell ls directory completion adds separator

4. MATLAB Compiler Problem (?)

5. Clearing the buffer in eshell

6. looking for OS9 port on ATT 3b1 or 7300

7. eshell display

8. Failure to know that flamewars can be entertaining

9. eshell: bug in Makefile?

10. eshell and desktop.el conflict

11. eshell, term and ncurses

12. eshell won't start external programs in non-mule 2.4.5

13. eshell doesn't show error messages