xemacs and cygwin problem spawning shells: help

xemacs and cygwin problem spawning shells: help

Post by Eric Mantn » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:42:02

I am unable to spawn a shell with
  M-x compile

using xemacs 21.4.6 native compile and cygwin version of 7/3/2001 on
Windows 2K.

I get the message:

Searching for program: No such file or directory, /usr/bin/tcsh

When I try to do this.

Some comments:

  A. There is a tcsh and a tcsh.exe in /usr/bin, but they are the
"same file" in some odd sense I do not understand.

  B. When I start xemacs from tcsh (running under cygwin) I get
slightly different behavior: I can then run
    M-x ls
  but I still cannot run
    M-x compile.

No doubt this has something to do with cygwin/windows
file-name-mangling incompatibilities, but I cannot figure out how to
fix it. Any ideas what is happenening and how to fix it?

xemacs and cygwin problem spawning shells: help

Post by kroni » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:25:11

Quote:

> using xemacs 21.4.6 native compile and cygwin version of 7/3/2001 on
> Windows 2K.

> I get the message:

> Searching for program: No such file or directory, /usr/bin/tcsh

why not use the cygwin version of xemacs?

xemacs and cygwin problem spawning shells: help

Post by Eric Mantn » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:31:06

I prefer the native version for most things. Things like printing and
copying seem to work a little bit more cleanly.

Anyway, I'd still appreciate an answer to this shell spawning problem
:-)

> > using xemacs 21.4.6 native compile and cygwin version of 7/3/2001 on
> > Windows 2K.

> > I get the message:

> > Searching for program: No such file or directory, /usr/bin/tcsh

>  why not use the cygwin version of xemacs?

1. xemacs/win98 shell spawning error

when i do a 'M-x shell', the *shell* buffer display this :-

---------
Specified COMMAND search directory bad

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
   (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\>
---------

and it would not respond to any of my commands.
the first statement says 'COMMAND' search directory bad.  can someone tells
me how to rectify this?

i'm currently using XEmacs 21.1 (patch 8) and running under i586-win98.

thanks in advance!

--
Some men see things as they are and ask why.
I dream things that never were and ask why not.

2. *** Sound on Intel ***

3. Please Help--Xemacs(Cygwin) Installation Problem.

4. Adobe into Front Page

5. how to spawn a new frame from the shell prompt

6. FP2002 - "Save Changes" - please help

7. Cygwin + XEmacs: shell command execution delay

8. QUIT message

9. CygWin + XEmacs: shell command execution delay

10. Double CR-LF being sent in shell - Xemacs 21.4 Cygwin build on win2k

11. Pressing ^C^C in shell buffer hangs XEmacs/Cygwin

12. Installing GNUs and W3 on Xemacs--i686-pc-Cygwin--21.1.13 -- HELP

13. Spawning subprocess problem in Windows 98