Problem with MICROemacs v.3.10 on SUN sparcstation

Post by Ruediger Oberha » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 12:07:00

Date:     Wed, 13 Dec 89 22:48 EST

Subject:  Returned Network Mail

Your mail is being returned to you.
Reason for return is:
%MAIL-E-NOSUCHUSR, no such user F0211022 at node QCVAXA
Returned mail follows:
------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 8 Dec 89 11:59:00 CET

Subject:      Problems with microEMACS v.3.10 on SUN-SPARCstation

Hello,

I have a question concerning MicroEmacs v.3.10 running on a SPARCstation 1:
We compiled it using the BSD-option, since the SUN-option led to a missing
header file (ndir.h - we haven't installed Sys V compatibility).
As far as I can tell now it runs ok, but we have a problem with the (.emacsrc)
startup file: certain commands (e.g. add-mode, add-global-mode, delete-mode and
delete-window) execute but immedately abort the execution of the startup-file,
i.e. it doesn't execute any command further down the lane.
All seems to be well if these commands are executed manually from the keyboear
in a running uEmacs.
There is a workaround for us right now using the "!force" directive - then the
whole startup-file is executed, but I consider it to be an error to abort exe-
cution otherwise.

Now before I dig into the SUN version too deep: Is this problem (and a possible
cure (FIX,PATCH, or whatever) known? What causes it and what can be done about
it? Comments are welcome.

As an aside to Daniel Lawrence: If the SUN option is chosen (- obviously the
BSD should not be choosen simultaneously), there is a compiler error, because
no code from EPATH.H is incorporated, which seems to be a bug - a possible so-
lution: add SUN to the rest of the other UNIX options (BSD, V7, etc.), if that
is, what has originally been intended to do.

Thanks for listening and in advance for any help.

Please respond to:
Ruediger Oberhage (it's me)                    Dep. of Theoretical Physics

                                               Duesseldorf, Germany (West)

Post by Brian Wyl » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 20:22:00

>As far as I can tell now it runs ok, but we have a problem with the (.emacsrc)
>startup file: certain commands (e.g. add-mode, add-global-mode, delete-mode and
>delete-window) execute but immedately abort the execution of the startup-file,
>i.e. it doesn't execute any command further down the lane.
>Ruediger Oberhage (it's me)                    Dep. of Theoretical Physics

>                                               Duesseldorf, Germany (West)

We have the same problem on all of our SUN workstations here, so I
suspect that it's a more universal problem.  In the file random.c are
several functions which themselves call the function adjustmode() --
they're called setmod(), delmode(), setgmode(), delgmode() -- with
varying parameters.  However, the return value of adjustmode() isn't
itself returned by the calling functions, so some rubbish from the stack
is returned instead, which is interpreted as an abort condition while
you're parsing your .emacsrc file (or any other file/buffer).  The
solution used here has been to enclose the adjustmode() calls within
return()'s for these cases.

It surprises me that no-one else has had this problem, since I'd have
thought that most other C compilers would have done the same.

  Slainte,                  "Now's the day, and now's the hour..."
    Brian.                       "... Europe sans frontieres."

Post by Bertrand Decou » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 09:39:00

| Hello,
|
| I have a question concerning MicroEmacs v.3.10 running on a SPARCstation 1:
| We compiled it using the BSD-option, since the SUN-option led to a missing
| header file (ndir.h - we haven't installed Sys V compatibility).
| As far as I can tell now it runs ok, but we have a problem with the (.emacsrc)
| startup file: certain commands (e.g. add-mode, add-global-mode, delete-mode and
| delete-window) execute but immedately abort the execution of the startup-file,
| i.e. it doesn't execute any command further down the lane.
| All seems to be well if these commands are executed manually from the keyboear
| in a running uEmacs.
[...]
| Thanks for listening and in advance for any help.
|
| Please respond to:
| Ruediger Oberhage (it's me)                    Dep. of Theoretical Physics

|                                                Duesseldorf, Germany (West)

I have noticed exactly the same thing on a Pyramid system, micro-emacs being
compiled with the same options (and the same *.h files) than on a Sun-3,
where it runs fine.

Any comment anyone?

I have discovered one more trouble (in addition to my previously posted -but
not answered- unbind-key bug) :
when doing a previous-word on the first line of a file, current macro aborts
if this word is the first one, although the cursor is in the right place
(beginning of line). You have to put a !force in front of previous-word.

(this is -of course- not a flame)

Thank you by advance.

$ IRISA - INRIA (Atelier)      |         {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty     $
$ Campus de Beaulieu           | PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00                      $
$ F-35042 Rennes Cedex - FRANCE| FAX : +33  99 38 38 32 | TELEX: 950473 UNIRISA$

1. Porting MicroEmacs 3.10 to Sun 3/260's running Sun/OS 4.0

Has anyone successfully ported MicroEmacs 3.10 to the Sun 3/260
workstation running under Sun/OS 4.0?  In particular, I'm interested
in getting UE 3.10 to deal with function keys on both the Sun console
keyboard and IBM PC's set up at VT-100's, and in running UE with
a greater-than-normal number of lines on the screen under both SunView
and a VT-100 "termcap" entry which has more than 24 lines defined for it.

Information about necessary changes to UE's header files, #define's,
and possibly the "real code" as well will be greatly appreciated.

                David R. Kohr, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory

        phone:  (617)981-0775 (work), (617)527-3908 (home)

2. Sendmail and Delivery Report

3. MicroEMACS 3.10 on Suns - problem

4. Mail Vulnerability

5. problem with META key on SUN with uEMACS 3.10

6. smb.conf and LDAP

7. Problems with VMS version of MicroEmacs 3.10

8. MicroEmacs 3.10 search problem

9. Microemacs 3.10 problem

10. MicroEmacs 3.10 Reverse Video Problems

11. uEMACS 3.10 and META key on SUN workstation.

12. GUN emacs for SUN SPARCstation